About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 14 October 2019

Most unexpected

Sunday 13th Oct

Since arriving at Festival gardens every now and then a loud squawking could be heard remarkably like that of a ring-necked parrot. Impossible I thought. To far North for a start. I know Parrots abound down South, I've seen them when cruising the Thames but here?? So I set myself a mission. As soon as the call was heard I would leap into action and come rain or shine I was determined to see if I could find it. Sure enough, today was my lucky day.





So I questioned myself, was it a pet that had escaped its cage or one of the down south Parrots having either got lost or blown off track? No other parrot answered its pathetic small calls as it perched high in the branches and I really felt quite sorry for it.

Christine and Kev turned up late morning. The meal had been booked for 2 pm, no way could they accommodate us before then so Kev made the most of the wait by doing a spot of fishing.


By the time 2 pm arrived, we were all very hungry. By God, we were staggered at the amount of folk in the Toby. Even though a table had been booked it was a good 10 minutes before the table was ready. Ordered the carvery option for the adults and both Josh and Oscar decided on the children's meals.  We made our way to the serving point and was met by a queue stretching almost to the front door! Took nearly 30 minutes before we got anywhere near to the counter and could choose what meat we wanted.

Kev got stuck right in that hungry he was and goodness knows what young Thomas was doing!
There may have been a long wait but the meal was delicious. I recommend that anyone wanting to go to this exceptional carvery to book early and chose a table for midday. You stand a better chance of a shorter wait.

Back onboard FS and Christine presented her dad with a cake. Not one she had made, apparently time had not been on her side shame really because her cakes are amazing. This was a shop bought Caterpiller cake, chosen by the grandkids. Went down a treat with a cup of coffee though.


These are just a few of the cakes Christine had made for family birthdays

Our son Colins 40th drummer cake

Grandson Josh

My 60th

Ians 60th

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I am glad Ian had a good birthday celebration even if the meal was a day (and a long wait) late! Christine's cakes are amazing. I have made a few in my time, but nothing like as professional as hers. Jennie

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Jennie, I have tried to persuade Christine to advertise so she could earn some pocket money but what with bringing up the children and a full-time job, she doesn't have any spare time. I will mention how you admired them though. Xx

Blog Archive