About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 2 July 2022

A very wonky house.

 Friday 1st July

 Wednesday just gone and that dreaded wisdom tooth removal day, talk about a knotted stomach! The appointment wasn't until 2 pm, and all morning I fretted, even to the point that I couldn't face any food. Silly really because I knew I would be living on fluids and soft foods for several days after it was out. Anyway, the orthodontic surgeon was lovely, put me at ease straight away and said I really had nothing to worry about. So numerous numbing injections in my upper jaw and below the tooth and within 5 minutes the tooth was out. Not that there wasn't a few dramas, mind. I heard the crack...gosh it was loud, then a lot of pushing and prodding before he said, "right you're all done". "Just one small thing though", he continued, "The root has broken off, and I can't get it out". Blimey my concern must have shown on my face because he carried on with, "Not to worry, the gum will heal over it, and you shouldn't have any problems". God, I do hope he is right!!!! 

Thursday was spent recovering. I lived on soup, yogurts, ice cream and Ready Brek, and it's only now,  that I have finally eaten a tea cake. It should do wonders for the diet, although as soon as I can, no doubt I will binge on biscuits and cake etc. Oh, and no alcohol for a week! How will I survive????

I felt well enough to suggest leaving this morning, Ian was all for waiting another day, but I was itching to get to Northumberland. By 9.30 FS was secured and with our destination a garden centre in Brigg for overnight parking, the Sat Nav had the co-ordinates put in, and we were off. Only trouble was our timings. It would take about 2 hours, much too early to arrive for the night. So a quick look in the English Heritage book showed a place we could visit at Gainsborough.  

River Trent and runs through Gainsborough was right by the car park, tide was going out because there certainly was quite a flow. Just saw the backend of a narrow boat disappearing down stream. (no photos of it, mores the pity)


 Gainsborough Old Hall, a Tudor building with hardly an upright wall in the place! The floor made you feel as if you were drunk, sloping down as it did toward the windows, but what a brilliantly fascinating place. It is a medieval manor house roughly 500 years old, and one of the best preserved in England. It housed various powerful lords as owners before eventually becoming dwellings to some of the poorest people in the county, living in very cramped conditions. Clicking on the link above explains the history.


Shows how much the walls lean out in this photo.

The door in the next photo makes it look as if it's leaning inwards. But it's the walls that lean outwards, the door is upright! I had to laugh when I noticed that lady in the photo. She had a great job....cleaning all the spider webs from the beams!



Check out that purple sign as a plumb line!




There was more to see in this place, but it meant another trip up a spiral staircase to reach the top. Groan, another 50 plus steps to climb! It was worth it though, right to the top of the tower for the views, quite splendid.





Took roughly an hour to walk around the place and on exit, this dog was seen in the garden.

 


 

Working as a veterinary nurse back in the 70s, I'm pretty sure these 'carts' hadn't been invented then. Our advice was to put the dog down, harsh but the right thing to do at the time. Imagine the dogs life. Not able to walk but drag its back legs around. Probably incontinent, which would result in urine sores and faecal hair mats, and this was always explained to the owner. Now, with these wonderful contraptions, most dogs can lead a normal life. Yes, it may still be incontinent, doggy nappy pads can be bought these days and an almost normal and enjoyable life could be led by the dog. Yep, I'm a big fan of these.

Just about to leave the carpark and we thought the mods (1960) had started a new movement. What a sight to see, at least 50 or more mopeds! 

Off to the Brigg garden centre and crikey this place was huge. Just finding our way to the cafรฉ got us lost. As a Brit stop, we always feel obliged to put some money their way. Anyway,  two coffees bought, and I purchased a new pair of crocs too, so I think we paid for our night's stay.



And wildlife,





No comments:

Blog Archive