About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 28 July 2022

An amazing castle

 Well, I was wrong. That Cockrell never made a peep until well past 7 am. Getting to sleep was a bit of a problem though,  Late evening and a car with trailer turned up. Seven sheep were herded into a pen and three lambs were separated. They were set to be slaughtered, I felt for the mums calling in vain for their return. Their baaing went on well into the night....poor things. Maybe I should consider becoming a vegetarian although lamb is one meat I never eat, anyway.


 

Oh, and what with the grass tinder dry I did wonder if lighting a bonfire was the right thing to do next to a field of corn!

 

If I raved about Walmer Castle yesterday, Dover Castle was even more impressive. It's another English Heritage property but even though as members we both get in for free, I would gladly have paid the £21 OAP rates to see the place. So much to do we actually spent over 6 hours wandering inside and out. The underground wartime tunnel was a real eye-opener, apparently there are over 4 miles of tunnels under the white cliffs! A hospital was also underground, quite how the surgeons managed to operate under such poor lighting conditions amazed me. Just shows how adapted they had to be with the bombing raids raging overhead. No photos allowed, and really had to be seen to appreciate how skilful they must have been.

Anyway loads of photos as usual and yes I did continue to use the camera. Would you believe that as suddenly as that blemish appeared, it disappeared! Don't ask why except I did give the camera an unintentional knock against a post as I walked next to it. Maybe that dislodged what ever it was. Anyway, this photo with that spot...

 

That's France across the channel
And this after!

Spot gone!

Gosh MB's wheels only just stayed on the road. Talk about narrow!

The view from the castle car park.


20 miles from the English shore to France at the narrowist point..










There was not much around the Dover area for parking overnight, well not for a beast like ours. In the end we had to try that road down to St Margarets, I almost closed my eyes going around some of those tight bends, only one car met and a sigh of relief breathed as we made the car park. It's a stunning location, one can't get a better place to stop.




And today's wildlife


Chuff at the castle






No comments:

Blog Archive