About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 11 July 2022

Is it a women thing?

 9th July

 Slight downside to being out in the wilds...no internet! And we haven't had any for two days now. We were at Kielder Forest, by the Reservoir, a fabulous place to stop during the day, nighttime not so much because the midges are relentless in their pursuit of sweet blood from us humans, and I seem to have the sweetest of them all!



It's a great place for exploring and on arrival we stopped at Tower Knowe. We knew from previous visits that an evening ticket was required to stop overnight. Only £10 we were only too happy to pay. A choice of three car parks, but by far our preferred was that at the Reservoir.
Off for a walk along the shore line. Bad, bad move on my part because clambering over all those rocks my right knee started hurting (crikey that's both now!)and by the time we had driven to the Kielder Castle and set off for another walk, I was in agony. Didn't help that we got a bit lost, went twice as far as we needed to!

 






 

I felt every single step and wondered quite how I would get back to MB. Plenty of painkillers on my return. Having had as many paracetamol and ibuprofen that I dare without overdosing, we headed off toward the castle to find the salmon farm and maze.






It's not often we row, but tonight OMG I lost it big time! Ian was cooking dinner, had to go to the freezer to fetch the frozen peppers, he does make a really good Chilli con Carney and after a delicious meal, an Ice cream would finish it off nicely. So I went into the freezer and discovered to my horror that nearly everything had defrosted, including the ice cream.  I lost it...exactly when was he going to tell me that there was a problem. "I thought I would check the gas regulator after dinner" he murmured. "And if that was all that was the problem, every thing would then refreeze," he replied. OMG again!!! He knows that defrosted raw meat should never be refrozen. I went mad, shouted at him...said I would have to cook all the meat there and then, and only then would it be be safe to refreeze. So I spent several hours frying sausages, beef burger, chicken legs and chicken breasts. Got them cool and placed them back in the freezer compartment. It still felt quite coldish, but that's when I noticed the fridge also felt warm. Yep, the fridge had packed up as well. Talk about a frosty silence. I barely strung two words together all evening. I was all for going home there and then, but of course we had the Osprey evening cruise booked for tomorrow evening. Having spent £60 on that, it was too much to just walk away from. Whether I'm still talking to him in the morning, well, only a decent night sleep and my forgiving nature will tell.

And wildlife







2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Glad to know you have grumpy side, Irene ... :-)

Losing the cooling function from fridge and freezer is a bit of a pain. I bet Ian sorted it quickly while you were stomping around cooking in a big huff, yes?
And by the way, refreezing stuff is not a good iera but I seriously doubt it would have killed you - especially if you had cooked it well on its second thaw. The chicken may have been a bit dodgy, but chicken is dodgy all of the time, in my view

I am amazed actually that there was no photo of you in your wildlife section...

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ha ha.... very funny Marilyn! If I had put one in, a fire-breathing dragon would have come to mind. (: (He calls me that sometimes....when I nag too much)
That man of mine did not fix the fridge, that was beyond him, even though he looked in the manual and on the web. No, somehow it fixed itself!

Much love
Xxx

Blog Archive