About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 20 July 2015

6 hours, 9.7 miles, 17 locks, hardly had time to catch ones breath.

The wind it did drop, the sun it did shine, the sausages were cooked and we drunk some wine. Okay beer then but that didn't rhyme! Yep the BBQ went ahead and a lovely sheltered spot in the hedge ensured that the coals didn't flame to much, so no burnt bits on the meat. The bugs and biting insects were a pain, though, and Heather emerged from Vixen spouting a lovely pair of socks over the trousers to stop the insects nibbling her ankles. And then there were the Geese!!! Low flying right over all our lovely food!! Thank goodness no poop rained down on us! Uno was played again well into the evening before the drop in temperatures had us scurrying back to the boats.

Bug deterrent

There is always the straggler.

We awoke to drizzle. After the lovely sun of yesterday it came as a bit of a shock. Not seen the forecast so was totally unprepared. A quick change out of shorts and T shirts and back into wet weather gear, and we were off. Time 6.30am!!! As silently as possible we glided past the sleeping occupants in the long line of boats. Only one gentleman stuck his head out of the side hatch and gave us a cheery wave. Having apologised for waking him his reply 'was already awake my love'.

Leaving Crofton in the drizzle

We had 17 locks to do in 9.7 miles and all but two were against us. Took a bit of time, having to drop the bottom gate paddle first (locks were to be left empty) and then filling them ready for us to proceed, but with hardly any moored boats or boat traffic about, the journey to our planned destination took about 6 hours. So arrived at an empty Kintbury early afternoon. Ian had our TV aerial to fix ( I must have TV) and as for me, no baking to do or housework 'cause it was done on route, so I got the bait out the fridge, rod off the cabin top and went going fishing.

Lovely splash of colour to brighten the day.

Swing bridge over Marsh lock.

As we were descending bridge could be swung shut.
Have put some more photos on my wildlife blog. To view click here.

And seen today on route. (and by the mooring)

Swimming Heron and a very good fisherman

Meal number one

Meal two

Meal three

Seen on the lock cill, Signal crayfish

1 comment:

Connie said...

Oh, you are living the dream . . . bravo!

Blog Archive