About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 22 November 2021

Slow day

 November 21st

What a lovely start to the day, cold and crisp, just how we like it. Not going to move today so treated ourselves to a leisurely full English breakfast. So what to do? A spur of the moment decision (one I wished I hadn't had) clean the grill and oven. OMG once started I realised just how lax I had been in keeping it in tip-top condition. It's one of those jobs left for Ron (later on) and starting I wished I had got on top of the baked on grease sooner. As it turned out I spent all morning on it, and there is still room for some improvement, but I got fed up and called it a day.


 

One thing that did grab our attention was boats coming out of the junction and hitting the bank opposite. One yesterday about lifted the bow out of the water, so hard did he bounce off. I suppose we all have our own ways of negotiating a junction and with a lot of trial and error, I found one that never fails me so long as there is sufficient width in the exiting channel to swing the stern. So this is what I do. After checking the way is clear and with me turning right I make sure the boat is also to the far right. I edge slowly out and as soon as FS's middle is by the curve of the coping stone, the tiller is pushed to the left. The stern then has plenty of room to swing around and I can make the turn in one go. 


You can see from the water disturbance where the stern went.
 

Of course, we are only 57 foot and a 70 footer would probably struggle and have to go in reverse to achieve the same result. I noticed though, that the majority of boats making the turn went straight ahead and used the bank opposite as a pivot point.


After my success in catching that Crucian Carp yesterday, I failed miserably this afternoon. In fact only one hour I lasted with rod in hand, too blooming cold to continue! Instead, Christmas presents were sorted for the grandchildren. I know, I know...it's still only November but all the horror stories heard on the news about shortages have spurred us into action.

And wildlife




No comments:

Blog Archive