About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 13 November 2021

Laptop...Kaput or repaired?

 November 11th

We let the stove go out again last night. I felt so very hot although how much I put that down to the jab and how much to the mild evening temperature was debatable. I definitely didn't feel right last night. Headache and complete lack of appetite, so unlike me who loves my food. I even took to my bed by 9 pm and couldn't even face my usual glass (or three) of Shiraz. 

Much improved this morning and raring to get to Nantwich. Really wanted to get my laptop to the repairers and hoped it could be fixed but resigned myself to having to buy a new computor. The thought of transferring all my work from the hard drive to a laptop was daunting although my 'man that can' said it would be a simple task.

Several locks to do first including Bunbury. The start of the day was misty and quite magical.



Before we left a video was taken to send to Steve. He may have some thoughts to why this is happening.




At  Bunbury lock I made sure to stay on the left. Stupidly I didn't throw Ian a rope to keep me to that side and horror of horrors the force of the water pushed the bow to the right....eek! Ian got me up as quick as he could and I suppose I was never really in any danger 'cos Ian was keeping a sharp eye on proceedings. I do wish this lock would be put on the stoppage list. Ian never did get any acknowledgement from CRT to the photos we sent and I know from speaking to Chris several days ago that he didn't get a reply either. It will take a tragedy for CRT to pull their finger out!


The approach to Nantwich didn't look promising. Plenty of boats moored and I had my doubts whether we could find a space. We were lucky 'cos right by the ramp down to the town, was a space big enough for FS. We grabbed it quick, secured FS, gathered my laptop, leads and high tailed it to town.

Oliver from Busy IT Computors was brilliant. He knew we were only in the area for a short while and got straight onto it. We shopped and was just about to head back to FS when Ian got the call I wanted but was dreading. Was the laptop kaput? Was I about to fork our ££600 for a new one? The look on Ian's face said it all, a big beam and then a thumbs up. Not only had Oliver sorted the problem (a short on the battery) but he did a complete overhaul and clean and for only £45. Bargain.

Tomorrow we continue toward Hack Green Locks, maybe staying a day or two. Tuesday afternoon I need to be in Market Drayton. I finally found a hairdresser reasonably priced. £25 for a cut and blow dry, a far cry from those in Nantwich wanting to charge £45! Blooming ridiculous!

And seen on route,




 And wildlife,





Lapwings

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous Irene, early morning cruising is the best time.
Super wildlife pics and glad you got your laptop sorted so promptly.
Good luck with getting your heating sorted too.
Thank you for sharing.
Ann Makemson xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Ann. Xxx

Paul Clark said...

More great shots of Kingfisher Irene. You seem to be on a good run with them. That lock looks a nightmare - as you say a serious accident waiting to happen. Can you imagine how easily an inexperienced hirer could come a cropper there.

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Paul. It was a hire boat that was nearly sunk back in October. It was those photos of the water cascading over the bow that Ian sent to CRT.

Blog Archive