About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 23 November 2021

Crikey...the chimney!

 Brr, I woke up cold! -3 and there was frost on the window frame in the bathroom. Looked outside and saw a white wonderland, no not snow but ground frost, quite magical. Just had to get a photo and then found out the back deck was lethal! It was well before 8 am so just wearing my slippers as footwear, gosh I nearly did the splits as soon as I stepped on the deck! It did look beautiful outside with the mist rising from the canal. So cold though, me thinks the thermals will have be worn today, it's the Wolverhampton 21 for us this morning.




Turned left off the Staffs and Worc at Alderley Junction and onto the Main Line

At Lock 21, the bottom lock of the flight, we met one CRT guy and two volunteers. Bad news was forthcoming. No water in the pound between lock 17 and 16! Ah, now what? But two more CRT bods were already at the top running water down and they hoped to have enough in the pound for us to get through. The advice was to continue but be prepared to wait at lock 17.

 

Wow, the pound was still very low by the time we arrived. "You'll get through" said one of the volunteers. Okay thought I, let's give it a go. I am pleased to report that I didn't get stuck, but something was beneath the water by the viaduct. I almost came to a complete standstill but knocking FS out of gear and coasting over it,  just about managed to keep going. Then I found out that over the weekend a break-in had taken place in one of the factories and the concern was goods had been flung into the canal. Hmm, maybe I had just found one of the items! A Police van was by the viaduct, but it wasn't to them that I told of the obstruction. I hadn't heard the tale of the robbery by then but I did mention to one of the CRT guys who was going to pass it on. (and that was who I heard the story from)



You can just make out a police van by the left arch of the bridge.
 

So we had help all the way up the flight, not just from the volunteers, but from a chap on his bike that had come up to set locks for his captain. Yep another boat was following us up, I suppose we were lucky that we got to the flight first. We did the 21 locks in a tad under the three hours (3 minutes under) Every lock was ready all bar one! The very top lock! Why was it full when all the others were empty? All I can think is CRT closed the bottom paddle after running water down but forgot to close the top. Anyway, I wasn't expecting that and I had already crept up to the gate waiting for Ian to catch up and get them open. Then I heard the paddle gear going. OMG it was full! Ian was lifting the paddles to empty the lock but hang on...I was still by the bottom gate. I was under a bridge and the force of water pushed the bow toward the right arch. Crikey the chimney!!! I screamed at Ian to close the paddles, he heard me which is a miracle in itself cos he never listens to what I say! He either has very convenient hearing or he is genuinely going slightly deaf. Anyway I managed to straighten FS and reverse out before any damage was done but phew, that was close!

The bow button was almost touching the gate. It was the right arch that very nearly crushed the chimney.

These next few photos are from the journey up the flight.

CRT helping.


Don't I look dapper with my Jessie hat and ear muffs!


The pounds were still low but look how clear the water was.

 
Top lock number 1

The washing machine had been on and with all that water used when I cleaned the cooker, we were desperate for water. It's a bit of a pain to get to the facilities 'cos it's off the Main Line and to the left. One way in and a reverse out! Then connected the hose, turned the tap and nothing! Oh, for heavens sake, don't tell me there is no water. But then a drip which got stronger until a small trickle came out, and that was it! So we had a coffee, had lunch, had another coffee and then gave up as a bad job. Filling the tank will have to wait until we get to the Black Country Museum. The plan was to moor on the 2 day moorings once we had reversed out, but the air was thick with the smell of Wacky Baccy, we were starting to get high on the odour so we decided to keep going.


Facilities to the left and 2 day mooring on the right.
 

We recognised this boat, Gloucester. Met the owner on the Adderley Flight. He told us he was deep drafted but blimey...this was ridiculous.



 

In the end we found a mooring by Deepfields.


Not a bad mooring, although there is some factory noise nearby. Hopefully that will stop soon.
 

And wildlife,





2 comments:

Dave said...

just wondering

Does the frost build up on the solar panels greatly affect their output and you have to scrape it off, or does the sun burn it off very quickly due to them being black.

dave

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hello Dave, I asked Ian this question and he said it is the latter. We don't scrape the solar panels for fear of damage. As for the output, that I can't answer because usually we are at our moorings at Langley Mill over winter and plugged into shore power.

Blog Archive