About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 21 November 2021

A surprise catch

 November 20th

 Before setting off we pushed across to Turners to deposit our old batteries in their yard. Quite grateful that they would dispose of them for us as it would have been a right pain if we had to store them on FS, and then where could we leave them? Not at any of the facilities, that's for boaters rubbish only.

Next job, get rid of rubbish and do the biz with the cassettes at the facilities before heading for the Wheaton Aston lock

Crikey it took an age for FS to exit the lock and we had a boat waiting to come in. It was those blasted leaves again. I could have bow hauled her out faster than trying to drive her. The lock was full of them! 

And loads more to plough through on the canal

 

Just before Stretton Aqueduct a sight not seen for quite some time....a dredger.


Stretton Aqueduct crossing the A5

Now I've said it before and many times,  there should be a universal hand signal or something similar when a boat is met at a bridge 'ole. Either one of us could have claimed the bridge as our right of way, both equal distance to it but he held back, I held back, I waved him through, he waved me through, I went well over to the right, he went to his right....Oh for goodness sake who was going to go first!. In the end I really emphasized my gesturing so he did come through, such a relief. We exchange pleasantries as he came past and both agreed we do need something other than hand gestures.

Who was going first?

Finally, through the bridge and a boat set off as we approached. I expect he was waiting for that boat to proceed forward 'cos it looked as if he had been hemmed in by it waiting.

 

I'm not sure why he let me pass. It wasn't as if I was right on his back button. Quite a way away in fact and matching his speed. Anyway on a long straight he went over to the far right and waved me through.

Autherley stop lock was just before the junction, a rise of roughly 4 inches, neither here nor there really but why the difference?  I found out it had something to do with Staffordshire and Worcestershire being 104 m above sea level and right on the summit. It is also the highest point of the Shropshire Unions Canal which descends through 46 locks to Ellesmere Port. The Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal built the lock just before the junction on the Shroppie to ensure that they didn't take large volumes of water and therefore steal from the Staffordshire and Worcestershire to supply their canal. Thanks Wiki for that info.


It looks as if the balance beam needs replacing. Hmm, I wonder how long before the fungi travels the length and opens up the wood.


Right turn onto the Staffs and Worc before stopping. That'll do nicely for today.


And looking back to the Shroppie.

Was just about to close the hatch when I spied this,  a Buzzard landed on the pole right by FS. Of course a photo opportunity not to be missed so managed to sneak out the cratch cover to take these pictures.


 There was something different about this Buzzard. It appeared to have straps around its legs. I think this was a display bird that escaped.



Being mobbed by a crow


 Then I went fishing. Not much bait left now mainly caster but on the first cast I caught this.

 

So excited but what was it? I thought it part of the Carp family so sent the photo to son-in-law Kev. He told me it could well be a Crucian Carp, quite rare on the canals as they shy away from boat traffic and notoriously difficult to catch. Dead chuffed on this acheivement.

Not sure if we will move tomorrow. The plan is to go up the Wolverhampton 21 but NOT on a Sunday when the little darlings are off school. No Monday will hopefully, be the better day.


4 comments:

KevinTOO said...

I'm not surprised that Turners were happy to take the old batteries off your hands for free... they've got to be worth £10/15 each in scrap value. You're a very generous person Irene ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Yes I know Kevin, Ian said the same, but how would we have got them to a scrap dealer? Storage on FS is at a premium so we had no choice but to leave them at Turners.

Paul Clark said...

Hi Irene

Great photos of the escaped "Buzzard". The jesses make it clear that it has recently been in captivity - I hope it is recaptured safely, as in the wild those straps can easily get caught up and cause the bird injury, or worse. It appears to be a Red-necked Buzzard which has its natural home in Central Africa.

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Paul. I did a search on escaped Raptors but nothing came up. There doesn't appear to be any Raptor centres nearby otherwise I would have reported it.

Blog Archive