About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 17 November 2021

A new women.

 November 15th

We had a lie in, the first for quite a while. No point in leaving earlier, well it was only about a 30-minute cruise to Market Drayton and knowing this to be a popular spot, wanted boats to leave so we could nab their mooring.  10 am then before we pulled pins and the cruise timing was spot on even though the leaves on the water and beneath were a problem today. Drawn toward the spinning prop, a 'balling up' effect meant our speed kept reducing considerably so going into reverse to shake them off was the only way to get rid. 

Glad I was nowhere near when this tree fell!




 I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised that all bar one of the moorings were empty, after all we are nearly in winter but judging by the amount of boats still cruising the cut, I really thought we would struggle to find a mooring. Anyway we went onto the 48-hour, secured FS and then walked to Asda before continuing into town to find the hairdresser. My appointment was for tomorrow and knowing my sense of direction (zero) Ian came with me so I could get a virtual map in my head. And before anyone mentions using my phone as a map, I am equally useless with that! Texting and making a call is about all I can get my head around! Anything technical I leave up to Ian.

 


 No fishing for me, unfortunately. The fishing rights belong to a club and only the members can fish, no day tickets sold on the bank. Hey ho....afternoon of telly it is then!

 November 16th

A dog barked intermittently in the wee hours of the morning...not even the pillow over my head drowned out the sound. Ian slept through, could be something to do with the ear plugs he shoves into his lugholes every night. He says I snore...I dispute that and until he makes a recording to prove as much, I will continue to tell him he is wrong!

A very lazy morning spent trying to decide on which trade boats to send invites out to for the ECP&DA Rally in 2023. I know it's still a good 18 months away, but these trade boats get booked up very quickly. I was lucky that D'riculous. (Mugs Afloat and cheese boat), was moored just beyond the bridge. Sue gave me all the information needed from the RTA {Roving traders association) so a big thank you for all her advice.

13.40 and I was on my way into town. I didn't get lost, it helped that blue signs placed in strategic positions pointed the way. Found the hair saloon (Hair Boulevard) and an hour later came out a new woman.


Ian spent the afternoon doing the tax returns. A job he detests and I suppose he is not alone. Anyway its done now and out of the way for another year. 

Back on the move again tomorrow. Onward to the Tyrley Locks and those vicious by washes. Alf gave me an excellent tip on avoiding being pushed toward the lock wall by the force of water .If it works I will share tomorrow.

 And wildlife


Buzzard




No comments:

Blog Archive