About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 20 November 2021

Bit OTT

Last nights sunset,



 19th November

 Great news, the batteries would be arriving today by 3.30 pm. That was a real turn up for the books as Monday had been mentioned when Ian last spoke to Stuart. We had already planned where we would stop and wait, in the wilds surrounded by countryside for a weekend of inactivity but now it was all hands on deck to make our way to Wheaton Aston. I cannot praise this guy enough. He pulled out all the stops to get us sorted.

We didn't get underway until 11.30. Milk and eggs had been forgotten on our last shop so it was a walk into Gnosall Town center, roughly half a mile away. Now I mentioned yesterday 2 things that come to mind when cruising this canal, well there is a third... straight sections.... mile upon mile of keeping the tiller in one position and getting all excited when a bend comes into view. There was a Kingfisher that kept our interest, skimming low along the waterline, watching where it landed to get a photo and then a surprise when the Kingfisher seemed oblivious of our approach because I could have grabbed it off the bush, so near to us it was, and intent on looking for fish.


It was just at the wrong angle

 Some folk love the Shroppie, I'm not one of them but I must say at this time of year the autumn colours and the sun shinning through the trees almost made me change my mind.


 Both of us were a bit concerned as we approached Wheaton Aston. There didn't appear to be any moorings available. In fact before we got to the 48-hour moorings I dropped Ian off so he could then walk ahead to see if there was a space. Very relieved when he beckoned for me to keep coming..

Got FS in just before that red boat. Ian's head is just visible

Before going to see Stuart, kettle went on for a coffee. It was still only 2 pm so no point in rushing. By 2.30 Ian was itching to go and see if the batteries had arrived so I went with him for a photo opportunity from the bridge. Crikey even the moorings before the facilities were full. I know winter moorings have been here in the past, so maybe that's why it looks so busy.



Turners on the left and a nice mooring opposite. We hoped to grab that once we had dieseled up got the batteries. We were way back along the line.

 Batteries still hadn't arrived but it was suggested that we go over and diesel up. At 81.9 a ltr this must be the cheapest on the system.  Of course just as we pushed away another boat could be seen coming toward us. We got onto Turners landing just as he came through the bridge hole, and yes he wanted diesel as well. Okay, not a problem because he went over to that opposite mooring and waited for us to finish. Then I reversed back to free up the landing, he reversed back through the bridge 'ole and we swapped places. Worked a treat it did.  We still had to wait for the batteries to arrive. and this was the ideal place to wait.




Finally, Ian heard a shout from Stuart. They had arrived. My trolley came good as a sack barrow but because of their weight (30 kilos each) only one at a time could be brought over.

s


Old batteries

And new.
 

Was this overkill? I filled the kettle, filled pans ready for dinner and filled a jug to put in the bathroom to use as flush for the loo. (Pump won't run without electricity!) I made sure the laptops were charged and closed the fridge door firmly. With no idea how long the electrics would be off for, better safe than sorry, I thought!  I mean even the cooker couldn't ignite cos the igniter relies on a spark, good job I found a box of matches in my toot drawer. (doesn't everyone have one of those?) Anyway, within an hour the new batteries were in so all my planning was a bit OTT.

It's so nice not to have to worry any more, I even put all the lights on and chargers in the laptops 'cos I could! The only thing we need to do now is take out a mortgage to pay for them...

And wildlife,

Dabchick/ Little Grebe?


Appears the red berries are now the staple diet of the squirrels.

Not another Ladybird!

No comments:

Blog Archive