About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 30 December 2021

Some boaters should not be allowed on the cut.

 29th December

 It was wet again, and yes with much reluctance on my part, we set off!  I did try to stop Ian from putting on the wet weather gear, said it would most probably dry up later, but no, "The more miles under our belt the better," he said.

I had the helm when the rain really got going, Ian had gone below on coffee duties so with him not by my side, the brolly came out. Have I mentioned he hates the brolly? Anyway he reappeared with two mugs, took one look at what I was clutching in my hand, passed me the mug and disappeared below with the words ringing in my ear. "Let me know when it stops!"  


What is it with some fishermen, I clocked the pole across the cut but no sign of its owner. Those poles are worth a fortune, some well over a thousand pounds and to leave it stretched right across the canal with no idea if a boat was coming, is madness. Still that's his lookout, I thought. If I can't see him, well it stood to reason he wouldn't see me. It was withdrawn rather rapidly as my bow came in line with that moored boat. Bet it gave him quite a shock!

We stopped for an early lunch, not planned but had an idiot boater who seemed determined to catch us up, not even slowing for moored boats. The last thing we wanted was to have to do locks with someone who couldn't give a damn about other boaters. In fact, as we pulled in, Ian only just about managed to grab the bow rope and I was pulling hard on the center rope before he tore past without a glimpse in our direction or a word said. FS took off and we had a hell of a job from keeping FS from hitting another boat. People like him should not be on the canals!

We did get away an hour later and approaching the bottom of Buckby flight, managed to lock up with a couple heading back to their marina on the Soar. 

 

Chatting as you do, and mentioning dogs (they had a rescue Staffy) we got to talking about how the rescue centres are very anti boaters, so much so that to apply to any of the charities means immediate rejection. And all because those living on a boat don't have secure gardens! But we struck lucky with this pair. They, too, had been rejected but heard of Nanna Pet Rescue place in Northamptonshire and the owner was more open-minded about allowing rehoming to boaters. The number was given to us, I'm pretty sure we will phone in the New Year.


All we needed was a plane!

 That wind had really picked up and trying to keep FS away from the side was getting more challenging. Allowing her to go up against the edge caused her to get 'pinned'. This became a problem whilst Ian was at the lock getting it set. Every time I pushed the bow out, raced back to the back to put the power on, the bow swung back again. I resorted to keeping the revs on, tiller over toward the bank to swing the bow out and running the stern along the edge until she eventually came out. Not good for the paintwork or the edge! I did try reversing off, usually this would work but not today! So after 5 locks we moored. Our locking partners carried on. Tomorrow we do the last of the locks and head for Braunston.
 

And wildlife,

Collared Dove


Red Kite


2 comments:

Pip and Mick said...

Forgive me if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs but we have a trick that works every time when the wind keeps blowing us back into the bank. Wrap the stern line round a bollard on the bank either straight or at an angle pointing forwards and also loop round the dolly on the stern of the boat a couple of times and hold onto the the remaining rope. Then engage reverse gear and hold tightly onto the rope to stop it slipping and to stop the boat reversing. The bow will magically pull out no matter what the wind wants to do. Once the bow is out enough disengage reverse, quickly flip the rope off the bollard and set off. Works every time as long as there's something on the bank to tie to, you can even do it with a piling hook if you're quick.

Hope the Trent allows you to get to the Erewash in time to beat the stoppage.

Mick
NB Oleanna

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Mick, Yes we have tried that trick when a bollard has been available, unfortunately not during the Buckby flight with that boat in front. I have never tried it with a cladding pin, one to remember for next time, thanks.

Blog Archive