About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 29 December 2021

Oh how embarrassing and surely not a widebeam coming through the tunne!

December 28th

 Funny sort of sunrise this morning, and looking toward the lock the evidence of what was to come did not thrill me at all! Looking toward the aqueduct on the other hand, and a glimpse of fair weather. Shame we were heading toward the dark skies then and not away from it!


 Windy as well, that and the drizzle constantly in our faces, made for an uncomfortable journey. One good thing, the water levels were up by a good 5 inches.  This meant that long shallow bit before Thrupp Wharf, well we could actually increase the revs. No wash was created along the offside, in fact we travelled at a good 3mph. What was very noticeable was the flooded fields. With more rain to come, I expect the rivers to stay at flood alert for several days yet.

We also saw a fox racing across a sodden field. Seemed rather dark, more like GSD colours but it was definitely a fox.




Finally after 2 hours of enduring the wind and rain, Stoke Bruerne bottom lock came into view.


Plenty of water flowing into the canal. Tributary of the River Tove maybe?


 Groan, high hopes of an easy ascent up the flight was dashed when all but the final two top gates were open, the wind blowing across from left to right causing no end of problems when trying to get into the lock, and with an idiot fisherman on a lock landing meaning I couldn't get onto it and wrapping the center rope around the bollard to stop FS from being blown across the pound, it was very, very stressful! Ian was rushing to the next lock to close the top gates and then opening paddles to empty the lock and all this happening for the next four locks. He was knackered by the time we reached the top!


Gongozzlers full of questions on how a lock worked. Couldn't conceive that FS would fit through one open gate.

The one thing I did do much to my horror and in full view of a couple walking right by the lock was a Prunella! (Great Canal Journeys) For those that know what I'm talking about will probably laugh and call me a dimwit, and for those that don't...here was what happened. The wind being a nuisance. Ian at the next lock getting it ready, FS had ascended so I tie the center rope to the bollard, that will stop me blowing across to the other side I thought, I go to drop the paddles just as Ian returns to open the gate. Ever mindful of that wind on the cabin sides trying to push FS away, I jump back on board and puts on the power and then.......FS came to an abrupt stop! Yep I had forgotten to untie the bl**dy rope!!!

Blisworth tunnel and I'm on the helm to steer through. Positioning FS as far over to the left as possible to see if anything was heading toward me, I had a moment of confusion. Two lights side by side not the usual central light seen on a narrow boat. Oh help....was this a wide beam disobeying the rules? What could I do? Full reverse, took the bow out of the tunnel entrance but was now on the wrong side of the canal. Took several manoeuvres and lots of forward and reverse to bring me onto the tunnel landing. I had thought Ian to come and see what was wrong but no, down below he stayed!

And what appeared was not the widebeam I thought it to be, it was a blooming narrow boat with lights on the port and starboard side, not in the center! I'm sorry to say I was a bit miffed and told them as much. "But it's good for seeing in the dark" he said. "That as maybe" said I "but very confusing in a tunnel!"


Two more boats were met in the tunnel. No touching of steelwork on either, and even the wall was only scrapped once. Not so on the second boat to come past. A lot of scrapping and bouncing from that one.

The first boat's headlight.

 We didn't quite make it to the mooring we wanted, stopping instead at the Gayton visitor moorings. We both needed to warm up by the stove with a hot chocolate. Tomorrow is set to get warmer, maybe reaching 15 degrees but it is also going to be wet again. Oh joy of joys!

And wildlife,


Lapwings


No comments:

Blog Archive