About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 27 June 2021

Honey I've been shrunk!

 I really could not fathom how those midges could still invade the inside of MB last night. Everything was shut tight, even the climate control vents in the dash, but somehow those blighters got in. Consequently, I found numerous bites on hands and legs this morning. Tonight they will die!!!  A second night is to be spent overlooking the reservoir. A can of fly spray was found under the sink, goodness knows when I had placed it there, but very grateful for it, to be sure.

We took ourselves off for a walk this morning, still in pursuit of those Red Squirrels. The track took us way above the water and then to the waterside itself. Here we found what was called a Wave Chamber.





 

It is supposed to give a different view of the reservoir, but only in sunlight and very still conditions. A small hole at the top to direct light onto a circular white disc on the floor and I’m assuming a lens at the top would do the rest.

 


 All we had was more of those bl**dy midges. I'm sure they lie in wait for us unsuspecting tourists. Ended up, in the end, walking roughly 4 miles (according to my Fitbit), not bad for an old bird like me.

Back to MB and after cheese on toast, the bikes came off the rack. It has been well over two years since I last rode on the bike and was concerned my knees wouldn't be up to the job. But two Anadin tablets for joint pain and I rode around the car park without trouble. Mind you, I was that wobbly and on the track I very nearly ended in a ditch. Oh, and those short uphill inclines, would have been okay if I could have figured out the bikes gearing! Needless to say, I walked up several before getting the hang of it.





 

Stopping for a drink, we happened to look across the water and spied an Osprey nest. Gosh, it was a long way away, but Ian had the binoculars with him and confirmed there was at least one chick being fed. I did the best I could with the camera and a video was taken as one of the parents flew in.





 

Felt quite proud on the return to MB. I had proved to myself that the knee problem won't be stopping my cycling enjoyment. For how long I don't know, but one thing is sure, Ian was going to sell both bikes, no point in having them if they were not being used he threatened, so my cycling days are not over yet and long may it continue.

And now to my post heading. We had to purchase another £10 overnight parking ticket and outside the door was this bench. "I'll give you a leg up", said Ian, grinning. Much to the amusement of the onlookers sitting at the cafรฉ table, even with Ian's help, I had to make several attempts to clamber up. What a laugh though, funny how Ian declined to join me!


I thought I would show you a video of those midges. We are tonight parked nearer to the waterline, which makes the swarms ten times worse.


And wildlife,

White throat maybe?




2 comments:

Paul Clark said...

Hi Irene

Enjoying catching up with your latest adventures....

Could the "White Throat" be a Spotted Flycatcher??

Cheers

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Paul, you may well be right.

Blog Archive