About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 15 September 2020

A quiet sort of day.

Tuesday 14th

Not much to report today. For once no dramas to cause excitement. Of course the glare bouncing off the water, as well as from the dew ridden cabin top, was once more a killer as we left but that was down to us for leavingat a silly time when most sensible people would be still in bed.

The plan was to reach Anstey so Ian could touch up our back hatch slide from that disastrous encounter with the brickwork on the bridge. Those that are regulars to my ramblings will remember the destroyed Buckby can! Also, as the towpath changed sides once through Hawkesbury Junction, Ian was going to try and remove those scratches with polish.

Boot wharf held no surprises today. Without those moored boats on towpath side, and not an oncoming boat in sight, a sigh of relief was breathed as we got through the bridge unscathed.

I see nothing has been done about that fallen tree! And now the 'beware tape' has gone, interesting if someone tried going past on the offside.


Hawkesbury Junction and a left turn through the bridge to get onto the Oxford Canal. One boat left a mooring as we negotiated the moored boats up to the junction and did the left turn just as another boat was coming down the lock. This gave me a dilemma. Do I wait in the narrow section, ah but that would mean I would block that descending boats route or, do I make the turn knowing the first boat would be going straight into the waiting lock and hope that descending boat would have seen me? I chose the second option and yes he had pulled over to await my manoeuvre.

Made it to Anstey before 1pm. Lunch first and then fishing. Ian was left to repair the damage he had done and to try to get rid of the scratch marks I had done!

The fishing wasn't brilliant but what I did catch in the two hours of dangling a maggot was five good size fish, bream, roach and this lovely Perch. (my fav fish to catch)

And wildlife today was hitching a ride on FS's Stem.

And possibly a top knot duck?

No comments:

Blog Archive