About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 24 August 2020

And this is the third time!

 Gutted...and I'll tell you why.

Left Market Bosworth about 9 ish and had a really good run to Shackerstone. Even had a chance to stop and have a quick word with Del and Al on Nb Derwent 6. At Shackerstone we were pleasantly surprised that there was plenty of spaces available, might be a good place to stop on our return from 'the top end'. 


 

Bridges came thick and fast from then on and quite a few had sharp bends going into them. Ian had already made a mistake by cutting the corner on one and getting stuck in the mud which ended with the bow heading for the bank. A reverse sorted that problem out. But at bridge 59 and I still don't know what got into Ian, but he clipped the towpath with the bow, this threw the bow toward the bridge wall, he put on the power...(why???)...and ended up with the stern making contact with the brickwork. I happened to be taking a photo of said bridge to show the Willow through the bridge 'ole.


Getting very near to the arch with the bow.

And into the willow branches because Ian tried to get the stern away from that arch.

The sound was horrendous, the chain holding them together snapped and Ian tried to hang on to the can. Unfortunately some bridge brickwork chipped off as well, no longer will I look at damaged bridge holes and blame speeding boaters! I have come to the conclusion that it really isn't worth replacing the Buckby cans again. This is now the third time we have had to replace the larger of the two. So I will leave you with this sorry sight! Really not up to posting anything else about the journey to Snarestone Wharf. That will be for tomorrow.

 



2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

And you give me a hard time about how I post about David???

Poor Ian, I say!

If you'd been doing your job, you wouldn't have been taking photos, you'd have been helping out - grabbing the can, bionically moving the boat out of harm's way ...

I am sure your man who can can fix the can ...

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

And not show his demeanours!! Anyway, Ian was in the way and I couldn't get to the cans. It wouldn't have done any good because they were chained on tightly. Ian tried to pull them away from the wall but to no avail, and he still shouldn't have put on the power so no poor Ian please, it should be poor me for losing my pride and joy! As for the repair, that's beyond even my man that can. It's now in the skip at Snarestone.

Hugs
Xxx

Blog Archive