About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 7 September 2020

The day of rest not so restful.

 Sunday 6th

Gosh, what a day it's been, we nearly decided to stay at Fazeley, wish we had really, 'cos who would have thought the 'day of rest' could be so very busy.

It was gone 9 before we set off and for the first part of the journey, all was nice and quiet. Didn't meet a boat through Hopwas Hay Wood, thank goodness, as it can get very narrow in places. My relief was short-lived though.

It started after Tamhorn Farm bridge. For years tall reeds have been present along that straight but today those reeds easily covered half the canal making it difficult if a boat was met. We were following another boat along that single channel and it was as we approached Hademore Farm Bridge that the problems arose. 


 

I hung back as two boats come through the bridge. Came to my turn but as FS's bow entered the arch, suddenly I was confronted by that boat we had been following, he had come to a complete stop half in half out of the bridge 'ole.  In front of him was an oncoming boat and stopped just before the bridge, was a hired day boat. Talk about utter chaos! Lots of reversing involved and I did ask why that day boat had stopped there. They had panicked and lost control so thought it safer to stop. Cant say I blame them but what a place to stop!

They had moved back after realising the problems they had caused. Initially they were by that bend. The bridge is just out of sight on the right.
 

From that moment onwards boat after boat came past. I reckon 15 or more within a mile section and most unfortunate for me was nearly everyone was met either by a bridge 'ole or by the narrow section of reeds in Whittington. FS gear box worked overtime as reverse was deployed time and time again. 

 

And these photos show why I had problems



Number two coming through. I had already reversed for the first one.


 Never had I been so pleased to stop and moor outside Kings Orchard Marina. Phew...not a day I want to repeat. We should get to Fradley tomorrow and I know that these locks can be very busy. Will there be mayhem again I wonder?

And wildlife,





2 comments:

Lisa said...

How is leg?

Lisa
NB WaL

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Not brilliant Lisa. Stepping up or down kills the knees especially the left. Still, I'm living on painkillers and once back at Langley, I'll go and get it sorted. xx

Blog Archive