About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 22 September 2020

Am I invisible?

 I had a feeling it was going to be one of those days, and I was not wrong. 

Setting of at the respectable time of 9am and cruising along quite happily in the glorious autumn sunshine, the first encounter was due to those overhanging willows. Coming up to a bridge, we could just about see through and noticed a boat coming toward us. Debatable whose bridge it was, Ian decided to hang back. Good job too as I'm assuming this chap had no idea we were there judging by the speed he was coming at us and the fact his hand was up to the eyes trying to stop the glare, rather gave it away. Anyway, he came through, realised a boat was in the way and ploughed straight through those overhanging willows, nudging FS as he did so. No harm done, we know ourselves how hard it is to see ahead when the sun and glare from the water is directly in front of you.




Then at Glascote locks. Yea...a boat coming towards us. Great the lock would be ours. Dropping Ian off just before the entrance to Glascote Basin, I was taking my usual photos when suddenly a chap appeared at the bottom gate. Well blow me down! No surely not... He blooming well was, turning the lock right in front of me! Straight on the horn and gave three long blasts. Not so much as a look but carried on regardless. Ian was by now racing toward him but with both paddles lifted, stood to reason the lock would empty quickly. Ian gave him what for when he arrived but that chap said "I looked but didn't see you" What a bloody liar! I was so close to the lock that unless FS had suddenly become invisible, there would have been no way he could have missed seeing her! Look at the second photo to see how close to the lock I was.

And then having looked closely after I placed the photos on the computor, I noticed him doing this to the awaiting boat. Now Ian reckons he may have been beckoning for the boat to come forward. I on the other hand reckon he was telling them a boat was at the top. Note the paddles hadn't been lifted by then.



Ian telling the chap what he thought of him.

Up he came, out of the lock and tried to pass pleasantries with me. Not having that was I. After all I was furious. So no acknowledgement came from me. But would he leave it? No, he called me a sour puss for not replying to his good morning. Bloody hell...for me that was like a red rag to a bull! I was incensed and shouted back that, "Seeing as you are deaf as well as blind there would be no point." I pushed FS away from the bank with his abusive mutterings steadily fading from my hearing!

Made it eventually to Hopwas without another incident so pleased about that. I had just started fishing when the Renshaws came past on their boat Alice and pulled in onto the mooring. Now we know them of old, first time we met was at ECP&DA's 2008 rally. He happened to be on Percy his first boat then. So it had to happen didn't it, the pub Tame Otter was right next to the moorings. Plenty of tables to be had about and for 4 hours we sat, nattered and drank. No meal, just drinks and after one large glass of Shiraz and 4 medium glasses, I think it would have been cheaper to have bought the bottle! Ian, Tony and Gill on the other hand, were on pints of Doombar. Quite how we all staggered back to our respective  boat is a complete blur. I do know that I was in bed by 8.45pm and awake at 2am with a raging thirst!

So some photos of the journey to Hopwas.

Now why couldn't C&RT cut this right back?


Obscured bridge!

Fertilising the field. Glad the wind was in the opposite direction.

Love the gates on this linear mooring.

Never seen a pure white spider before


4 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

It's not that you are invisible, Irene, it is that his desire to be first into the lock is more important than having to wait 10 minutes.

We had it two or three times last year and I got incensed too: the wait when the lock is turned right in front of us doesn't bother me, but the selfishness drives me absolutely nuts!

I think we should find a suitably cutting but very polite way to respond. Perhaps: 'I am very disappointed in your selfishness at not being able to wait 10 minutes so that water doesn't get wasted.' Or 'That was very very rude. I am sure you would jump the queue at a bus stop, so please don't do it at the locks'

Neither of them invites a response, so no need to get into an argument. And if they do get aggro, you can just say 'I am not going to argue with you. Good bye.'

If we ever get back to the cut, I am going to write that down and have it on a paper at the stern so I remember it!

Mxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Marilyn. The trouble with me is I'm too hotheaded and will bite if provoked. If only he had kept his mouth shut I would just have fumed away quietly. Xxx

Jennie said...

Absolutely no excuse for anyone to turn a lock so blatantly and I feel every bit of your ire. Apart from being down right rude and very selfish it is the waste of water that really upsets me.

The signal he was giving with his arm raised is one we use to let the helmsman know how full/empty the lock is and therefore how long they have to wait. Jennie x

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Ah thanks, Jennie. Ian always uses two hands to signal the state of the lock. One arm raised means a boat at the bottom ready to go up, and the signal of a raised arm descending means one is coming down. Funny how we all have our own individual methods. Xx

Blog Archive