About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 13 September 2020

Lady of leisure

Saturday 12th

Good plan to set of early, slight fly in the ointment though... sun on the horizon directly ahead, glare on water equals... cant see a bl**dy thing!

By 8am and after a hours cruise, we reached Wood End lock. Lock walls completely dry so a boat must have descended last night. Thinking we were the only mad idiots out this early another boat appears from behind. Bit peeved when he stood at his end with windlass in hand watching Ian having to open and close both bottom gates. Wouldn't have hurt for him to help! Social distancing would have been maintained, a gate each!

 Was that a volunteer lockie at Shadehouse lock? I didn't think they started until 9am. Nop this one started at 8am.


And he had the lock ready and waiting.

But no sign of a volunteer at Middle lock. He arrived as I was bringing FS toward the junction.

Down to Ian to do.

Turned right onto the Coventry and nearly hit the bank. The glare was blinding!

Once the locks were out of the way, Ian took the tiller. I was suffering from standing to long yesterday and that knee of mine needed rest. So I saw the canal from a different prospective, from the well deck.

The narrow bit where I met all those boats,

And reeds between Hademore Farm bridge and Tamhorn Farm Bridge.

Hopwas Hay Wood

Talk about Ian in at the deep end. Boat after boat came past and once again FS was put in reverse more often than not as so many times the meeting was at bridge 'oles or tight bends. I had the perfect view at the front to witness all the action!

This meeting at a particularly tight corner in Hopwas

This boat went into reverse and so did Ian. I had to race to the back to tell Ian this boater had waved him through.

This lot was as Ian was coming through the bridge's. The left-hand photo was at the Huddlesford Junction with a boat coming out of the arm.


At Fazeley we decided that enough was enough. Ian had been on the helm for nearly 6 hours with only the occasional comfort break. We even had lunch on the go. I on the other hand had enjoyed the solitude of gliding silently along. I very much doubt if this will be allowed for a second day. Think I had better pull my weight on the 'morrow.


Fazeley Junction

Moored nearly at the same place as we had on the 5th.

And some tranquil scenes on route,





 And wildlife,






Did a double take when I saw this. Thought it was real!


5 comments:

Jennie said...

I am so glad that I am not the only one to be slightly irked when following boat's crews just stand around with a windlass rather than lending a hand! I hope the knee is better tomorrow. Jennie

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

It's quite lovely to have a break from steering and to be able to sit in the cratch, isn't it?

I've noticed the last couple of times we did that Coventry bit that the reeds had got far too pushy! I remember when we first did that piece there were a number of lovely places to moor; but last year they were all covered in reeds and made mooring impossible and passing pretty awkward!

We are still jealous, by the way!

M&D xox

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

And what is this Lady nonsense?? Not something I consider you to be, my lovely - you are far too practical for that designation!!

Anon ...

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks for that Marilyn!!! I have occasionally raised my little finger while drinking tea you know!

You are right about disappearing mooring spots. So much neglect, you are better off in that beautiful country of yours.

Oh, I forgot to reply to your previous comment. Lisa mentioned your name several times it's a wonder your ears were not burning! All good I might add:)

Xxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Jennie. I have had that day of rest and it's amazing the difference just sitting down and resting it has made. Xxx

Blog Archive