About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 18 September 2020

Utter disbelieve

 A real chill in the air as we stepped outside first thing, and looking at the cabin sides, gosh that heat loss around the windows was appalling.   I think our 'double glazing consisting of cling film'  will have to be applied soon.

Old Oaks Wood looked splendid in the early sun and so lovely to be out in the early morn. 

 

Just beyond the woods were the 14-day moorings which, more often than not, are always full to capacity.  Parts are so very narrow (offside veg!) so very pleased we didn't meet any oncoming boats. What I did see right at the end made me shake my head in utter disbelieve. How can anyone be so stupid! Newbie hirers can be forgiven for not knowing any better but a private boat owner? No matter how the rope had been laid across the towpath this was a trip hazard and the owner should be ashamed for even doing it.

 




Beyond Stretton Wharf signs of casualties from when storm Francis came through in August. A section of the offside bank had been lifted as the trees had been blown down, revealing brickwork and lining. So can I rest my case, m'lord, about allowing saplings to grow along the water line? 


Arrived at Sutton Stop with a near empty water tank and decided to stop for water. The mooring for the water point is long enough for two boats and has two taps on the site. So having followed a boat for the best part of two miles, we saw him head for that mooring. Okay, so we hoped he would move forward to the furthest tap but no, got to the water point to find him just tying up and right in the middle. I manage to shout loudly grab his attention to ask him to move up. Ian on the helm had nosed FS in behind ready to move forward. The chap then grabs the front rope giving it a tug forgetting the stern rope was still tied to a bollard. Crikey now we were in a pickle as that bit of breeze blowing from right to left was enough to grab hold of FS, pushing her back out into the middle and, I might add, just as a boat was coming up the lock. Talk about an impatient misery guts. Blasting away on the horn and gesturing for us to get out of his way. To say we had words was an understatement! Reverse was needed to get FS back on track and eventually managed to slot in behind.

Have I mentioned how many boats are on the system at the moment? It was manic at Hawkesbury Junction. Two boats waiting for the lock with another tied outside ready to do the turn. Then C&RT came into the mix with the work boat. FS's bow almost in the junction bridge 'ole when the workboat bow appeared. We did the turn and I think the penny dropped that too many boats were waiting for the lock, and they would have to take their turn.






A boat coming out of the Ashby junction, had no idea we were coming through the bridge. No horn, no lookout from the misses, just pulled straight out!

Stopped earlier than we needed to only because our son phoned yet again to say there are still problems at the beginning of the chain. No need for us to rush back now so spent the afternoon chilling out in the glorious September sunshine. Funny what you see when least expecting it. One boat allowing another boat to pass just beyond the bridge.



 

And seen on route,



Never seen so many Buzzards all together. Only four in this photo but there were actually 5.










2 comments:

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Tying the ropes across the towpath really drives me nuts. We came across one such idiot once (year before last, I think - I'd have to go back through the blog ...) who had moored up overnight on the lock landing with his rope at neck height for a cyclist (David, the partially sighted one). He was still there at 10.30am. I had a shouting match with him when he came up to the lock to remonstrate with me for being so angry when I couldn't get on to the lock landing to wait while two lots of water came down the lock and I couldn't hold the boat by myself on an inhospitable piece of towpath with shedloads of water coming down.
He grabbed my water glass off the side and threw it on to the deck - he was tempted to throw it at me, but did managed to resist. I was so furious about his mooring stupidity, his temerity in blaming me and his coming all the way up to the lock to yell (when his excuse for mooring down there was 1 bad back, 2 bad hips, 3 tiredness, 4 he was going to leave early in the morning so no one would be inconvenienced ...and this was at 10.30) that I wasn't scared at the time!
Bloody plonker.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Good grief Marilyn, I know we all do stupid things in the heat of the moment but you could have been seriously injured by this moron. Mind you, I would probably have cut his ropes and sod the consequence!

Xxx

Blog Archive