About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 9 October 2015

Bit of a tight squeeze

Found another two wrigglers this morning but nothing since so hopefully I wont be finding any more. Ian wasn't best pleased yesterday at the thought of a swarm of Bluebottles invading the boat. My fault for not checking the lid was on properly. That look that Ian gave me...well...I will definitively check the box is secure in future!!!!

Having a spot of lunch and watching Bargain Hunt, something black suddenly caught my eye.  Gave me quite a turn, I can tell you, and my initial thought was Jade had returned. It was in fact a black cat who had boldly walked right in, without a by your leave, as if it owned the place. Before I had a chance to grab the camera Ian shouted at it and it scurried out. Got a photo of it on the towpath though, and I can only assume it belongs to one of the boats. Quite like the idea of having a cat on board but Ian is adamant we wont ever have one as he is more of a dog person. No chance for me then.


Found another walk to try out and set off ever hopeful that some elusive animal might present itself for me to photograph. I was in luck today as a fox appeared out of the gloom between some trees. Took one look at me and shot off so no photographic evidence to show for it. I did follow it along a path hoping to see it again but I started to wish I hadn't when the trees got closer and closer together. The path must have been a well used animal track and trying to squeeze my bulk through the trees took some doing. I persevered and did eventually come to a clearing. No sign of the fox so my attempt was all for nothing.

See what I mean!
Didn't get lost which was a bonus 'cause not sure how I would have explained my route to Ian if I had to phone him to come find me!

Had another blogger come past early afternoon. Reading the Inca blog I knew they were close so lovely to be able to give Gary a greeting. We are traveling in opposite directions but I'm sure one day we will meet for a natter.

Did do some fishing with what bait I had left and caught several Bream and some Roach. Kept me out of Ian's hair as he was still trying to solve our wireless network problems.



2 comments:

Pip and Mick said...

Love your photo of the trees Irene. Very atmospheric.

Gary said...

Hi Ian and Irene , Good to see you both. hopefully next time we meet we can stop and have a chat We are down this way till Xmas then moving back towards Braunston/Oxford canal... All the best Gary and Carolyn

Blog Archive