About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday, 18 October 2015

And the peace was shattered

Took longer to do the final 6 locks on the Atherstone flight then to do the first 5 yesterday. 90 minutes from leaving the Kings Head to getting to the bottom lock. No volunteers to help us through as it was quite early this morning and with the locks not being close together, didn't help matters. The Autumn colours were a sight to behold though, really vibrant, and although the day was overcast, no wind chill today so feeling a lot warmer then of late and a pleasure to be on the move.

Lock 10 Atherstone flight
Traveling along what we call the 'six mile pound' ( 6 miles to Glascote locks)  we come across this sad sight. I know it's been derelict for many a year and I don't suppose it restorable. Shame to see it rotting away.

It was also at this point that we became aware of the sound of motor bikes in the distance. The nearer to Polesworth we got the louder the sound. Turns out it was the Motocross mx club at Stiper's Hill doing some sort of competition. With Ian below and me on the helm, it's a wonder I didnt steer straight into the bank, that enthralled I was at what was going on. Managed to get these photos and would have loved to have stopped to watch, but Fazely was our destination to get moored before the Rugby started at 13.00.

Surprise surprise.....no queue at Glascote locks for a change. It's a bone of contention in our book that we always get held up at these two locks, especially at lock 13. It leaks like a sieve and there is a wonderful ode to that lock pinned on the rails. If you fancy a read of 'The tale of lock 13' click on August 2014 post and scroll down the page.

Glascote lock
It was only a matter of another 20 minutes or so until we reached Fazeley Junction. Heading straight on past the junction the facilities were on the left. Ian quickly attached the hose to the tap turning the tap full on hoping against hope the tank would fill quickly By the time we were full though, kick off (Ireland V Argentina) had already started so we pushed across to moor opposite, Ian secured FS as quickly as possible and got the TV turned on. It was left to me to put down the fenders and make sure we were properly tied. Just hope I have done it to Ian's satisfaction. He's a bit of a stickler when it comes to tieing the ropes, has to be done just so.

Fazeley Junction
 And on route today,

Bottoms up

Hybrid Canada Goose?

No comments:

Blog Archive