About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 10 June 2011

Bunting up and a very embarrassing moment!

The majority of the display tents went up today and we also received our rally packs. Loads of boats arriving have been slotted in, all credit to the mooring officer.  Our Erewash mob turned up lunch time with the same story about weed and low water, but all are under the same impression that it was worth the effort as this is a really lovely place.  We have put our bunting up ( all made by my fair hand ) and found our green party flag which has a glass and pint of beer painted on it. We get so many comments on the name of the boat and the usual retort is  " Make mine a whiskey"  My  sister in law gave us the flag so we thought we might as well display it.
So now to my cringe moment. The dogs wanted to go out and as I was going to visit the main site I decided to take them both on the lead. On went their collars and I opened the hatch to allow them off the boat. Jade went first, closely followed by Judy.  I was getting a couple of dogie bags from the cupboard and when I looked up I saw this guy walking past the boat and then noticed his dog 'doing its business' on the grass in front of me. I called after him to say he needed to clear it up when he turned to me and said " That's not my dog luv" When I looked again it suddenly hit me that it was Judy doing her dogie doo's and  not the fellows dog. I'm not used to seeing her with a collar on so that's why I didn't recognise her. Talk about wishing the ground would swallow me up. There was a crowd of onlookers which made it worse so I just walked up to it saying " someones got to clear it up"!!! I then walked off with Judy in hot pursuit so everyone must have known she belonged to me. Its laughable now but I had a very red face I can tell you!!!
The beer tent is open tonight and some of the boaters are going to get out their instruments ( no rude comments please!!) so it could be a very good night.

1 comment:

Jo Lodge said...

Hahahaha sorry had to giggle. That is just the sort of thing I would do.
Have a lovely weekend.. ;0)

Blog Archive