About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 9 April 2022

What a day to decide to head off.

Sorry folks... You have to put up with me again.... I have the new laptop and can continue with where I left off, so let's go back to last Wednesday. 

Leaving Sawley in very windy conditions, I struggled to get FS off the side and only by Ian pushing the bow with the pole could I get underway.  FS hit the river Trent and immediately began rocking and rolling...blimey, one would think we were in sea conditions! Quite an experience, I can tell you! Derwent mouth lock came into view and a most welcome sight. Gates were closed but the lock looked to be empty, Good-o. Didn't fancy trying to keep FS stationary in that wind.

 

 At Shardlow lock, we met another boat. Great, a locking buddy, that would make life easier, but blast, short-lived because at Aston lock another boat was about to enter, and of course they joined that one. Oh well, back to being on our own again. Then I watched as that second boat started to reversed back out. I was intrigued and took these photos.



Ah...a bike hanging over the side. No wonder a reverse was necessary!

We stopped above Aston lock, no reason to continue and follow that pair, time enough tomorrow to do the last three double locks.



  Thursday 7th April.

My fault... I wanted my purchased laptop sooner rather than later and prepared to scream and shout until I got my way!  How on earth did I cope pre-computer days? Now I'm lost without it! Because of my insistence, we upped and pulled pins after a very early breakfast, regardless of the awful conditions outside. And by God the weather was bad. The barometer had dropped to stormy, should have taken heed of that! Gale force winds, driving rain and at Weston lock icy drizzle which caused painful pinpricks to sting one's face. Extremely unpleasant!

On its way to stormy


 But I get ahead of myself, 'cos first we had to get away from the bank! I decided to walk Toffee to the next bridge, so it was my responsibility to ensure FS's bow was pointing mid-stream by giving it a mighty shove. I didn't fall in....how I don't know, but wasn't going to give Ian that satisfaction of having a good laugh. I watched as FS 'crabbed' along the straight, glad no boats to pass, 'cos no way could Ian have slowed down!


Can you make out the rainbow? Top right side.
 
Proper waves on the canal.

Then I had to try to get Toffee back on board after her walk. We waited at the bridge 'ole and Ian brought FS alongside, but the wind had other ideas! FS was being buffeted and pushed in every direction except where he wanted her to be. 

 

Suddenly, the stern drifted away from the edge and headed for a collision with the far bridge wall brickwork. Blooming 'eck... Toffee was also about to jump back on board, and a submerging seemed imminent if she fell in.  But.....Toffee didn't fall in, I managed to stop her leap almost in mid-air, but then I had visions of the handrail making contact with the wall as Ian tried to control FS. Ian grabbed the centre rope, threw it at me which I amazingly caught, and after a humongous pull, managed to bring FS near enough for Toffee to get back on! Phew, not sure if I would want to repeat that experience in a hurry.

After that it all seemed too much and laptop or no laptop I wanted to stop. We ascended Weston, Swarkestone and finally Stenson lock. A short cruise further to reach the outskirts of Mercia Marina, where the unanimous decision was made to stop. Tomorrow a walk to Curry's from the Morrison moorings where my laptop was waiting.

 And wildlife,




Captive Owls on a cruiser!

No comments:

Blog Archive