About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 25 April 2022

It wont go in sideways!

 I'll be glad when we get onto the Thames, Won't be doing all these silly early starts. It's all a bit of a rush at the moment, 'cos we only have the week on the river, and then it's another rush to get all the way back to the Erewash by the 20th May. My route planner (Ian, consulting Pauls Waterway routes) has calculated timings from Duke's Cut to Lechlade and back which will allow some leisurely stops in-between. 

I was below when I felt FS going into reverse. From around a bend there in front was a lift bridge, a mechanised this time. I was preparing my mushroom soup, that had to be put on hold whilst I took over the tiller. And then, having relinquished the tiller to Ian again,  a bit further on another call came from him, for goodness sake will I never finish making the soup! But this time it was to say there was a familiar boat moored ahead at Heyford.  Nb Milly M and Maffi had been found

 

It was very early, though, and we wondered if he and Sue would be up. It may have been the boat engine alerting them as we crept past, 'cos Maffi opened the side hatch and a brief conversation was had. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing them again, even though they too are heading for the Thames. We will be heading upstream, whereas Maffi will be heading to the posh southern part. It may have been a brief encounter, but good to see you both looking so well. πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜€


 

Can anyone figure out why a fallen branch across the towpath would be cut to allow the walkers and cyclists a way through, but instead of removing the branches leave them lying across the canal?  Surely not CRT!!! Member of the public, maybe?



 

We had gongoozlers at Dashwood lock. the four legged kind.



Another Cherwell River section to negotiate. I must say, it was nice to have a depth of water under the hull, as FS certainly had a good turn of speed on her. It had been very noticeable as we travelled the Southern stretches of the Oxford canal just how very shallow it was. I blame Ian for filing up his man cupboard, as well as front lockers, with all his man tools! Originally, the boat had only a 2ft 2" draught. Now it's more like 2ft 6"! 


 

At Shipton Weir Lock, a boat was ascending.  Ian was on the helm, so I stepped off with the centre rope.  Now I realise I do all the steering into locks, leaving Ian to do all the hard work, but surely he wasn't that rusty. I mean, why would he try to get a 57ft boat sideways into a lock entrance with a width of only 8 ft? My 'man that can' tried just that! OMG, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. The port front section of the bow hit the side wall and because of the momentum, FS tried to follow. All it did was cause a reaction of bouncing until finally the rest of FS straightened up and could follow. Blimey, I feared for the crockery and as soon as I could, I checked through the boat. How lucky was he, because a cup had fallen into the sink, my computor teetered on the edge of the table and the hover was on the floor. But nothing had broken!!! I have yet to check the blacking!  So I don't think this will be forgotten  in a hurry. It will be mentioned on a regular basis, Ian!

This after the event. No camera to record his mishap.


Oh look, normal river levels, good oh.

At Thrupp, we stopped at the facilities. For those that have never been there, here is a Google Earth screen capture.


 It's quite a difficult turn to the Aubrey's lift bridge from the facilities, so I made sure Ian was ready with the key to get the bridge open as I pushed away.

For once, the wind was a help instead of a hindrance. Last thing I wanted was to hit the bridge! Made it without incident, all I had to do now was collect my hubby.

 It's a good job we didn't want to stop in Thrupp, because from where I waited to pick up Ian, it looked to be wall to wall of moored boats. Turns out there were a couple of spaces on the two-day mooring by the Boat Inn.

 We could have stopped, gone and had a pub lunch, but with it being Sunday, shopping had to be done before Tesco shut at 4 pm. So Kidlington was the destination. Here the moorings also looked full, could we fit into that gap further along? Just...and just was good enough.

Walking to the town, a boat was just exiting the lock. "You're Free Spirit" said this voice. Talk about surprised. "Do I know you?" I asked. "Nop" said the chap, "But I've been reading your blog for years." They  introduced themselves as Chris and Sue. Gosh, I've been lucky these last few days on meeting new folk. Strange how lives are touched but briefly, but lasting memories are made. "Have a good trip back to base" I called after them as they took their leave. "And hope we meet for a proper chat someday."

And wildlife today,







No comments:

Blog Archive