About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday 4 April 2022

Not a good idea to drop the phone down the loo!

 Last Friday's games night was great fun. Mexican train had been unanimously voted as the game to play but no one had brought it with them. Then Margerat produced a biscuit box and inside was their version of the game. To keep themselves occupied during the first lockdown, Dennis had cut out, sanded 91 dominoes all to the correct size and all from an old table-top. Margaret had then painted and decorated each domino with coloured sticker dots stuck on for the numbers. Instead of the trains, made miniature narrow boats, which was so well done they went down brilliantly with us boating folk. Just wish I had taken a photo. Must remember next time 'cos it was a real work of art!

Saturday all the boats that were coming to the Pie and Pea had arrived. Not so many this year, the thought of catching Covid was a big issue and therefore the attending numbers were down. The cottage rooms are quite small which put many of the ECP&DA members off. Windows were opened for ventilation but like any gathering, very difficult for folk to keep well apart. Those that did attend all said the same thing, wonderful entertainment and glad that the do went ahead this year. Last one was two years ago before Coronavirus hit so a very much looked forward to event. And those meat pies.... yummy and well worth the wait.



 

Sunday I was treated to a meal at the Bridge Inn. I had my birthday a week ago which also happened to fall on Mothering Sunday and this was the only day all the family could get together. It was also our son's excuse to bring his Red Fox Labrador Toffee for her boot camp holiday with us. She will have to get used to slumming cos one thing I won't allow is dogs on sofas or chairs. Her place is on the floor in her own bed! Being allowed to sleep on the sofa at their home (and occasionally the bed!) well that's up to them. "But she likes her comfort" said Colin and daughter-in-law, Iwona. Well tough 'cos she ain't going to have any comfort in this boat other than in her own bed! 

It was also at the Bridge Inn that I had my disaster. Slightly graphic explanation but here is the scenario. I need the loo and in my haste forgot the phone was in trouser back pocket, trouser pulled down, sudden realisation as a splash was heard, look down and there it lay...submerged and no, not after the wee event but before. (thank goodness) Desperation set in as I pulled the phone from the depths, made a grab for the loo roll and disaster again. It was one of those massive rolls which is usually encased but not this one. As I pulled a handful of the tissue from the roll, the roll came out from the housing, rolled along the floor and under the door! OMG....there I was, phone dripping, my trousers around the ankles and no way of retrieving the roll unless I ventured out of the cubicle. Well....in for a penny and sod anyone seeing me, I thought. I pulled open the door, grabbed the roll and slammed the door shut in a blink of an eye. And I was lucky, no one to see what had happened but one very red-faced lady having to tell the family that I may have drowned and killed the phone! Much hilarity from them and raised eyebrows from hubby but wow, what a surprise... it still worked. Had I got away with it? Hmmm seems not because although Ian switched off the phone, placed it near to the stove, left it till tonight to turn on again, I now have watermarks inside the screen. Rice has been known to get moisture from a phone so  half a packet of rice has now covered it for the next few days. 

Water inside.


  Monday afternoon we set off for Trent Lock. Jim and Jenn locked down with us heading the same way. Toffee was most put out when she was confined to the engine room. The thought of her trying to jump off FS whilst we travelled was enough to give me palpitations! Ian made a gate from expanding trellis which, for today anyway, has worked a treat. 



 Oh and at Long Eaton lock, from this

 

to this.


Wildlife was a Heron seen just after Sandiacre lock.


2 comments:

Graham said...

All you have to do now is to remember to remove the phone before you put the rice pudding in the oven!!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

This made me laugh Graham. I suggested putting the rice with the phone in on top of a trivet on the stove. Ian looked at me in horror and told me in no uncertain terms that this was a very bad idea!

Blog Archive