About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday 19 April 2022

Two magical phenomenon.

Without the dog, this amazing sight would not have been ours. I couldn't believe what I saw when I took Toffee for her last 'hurry ups' at 11 pm last night. Wonderfully clear skies and a large full moon. Grabbed the camera but couldn't remember the settings for night photography so turned the dial to auto. The church lit up in all its glory and the moon making its way majestically across the skies. This series of photos were all taken within 7 minutes. Goes to show just how fast our World spins.

22.55
l
22.58
l
23.00


23 01


23.02

 Even though another fairly early start, there was someone even earlier. Our loo needed emptying, so a stop at the facilities first. From this vantage point, I could see the boat doing the turn at the junction.

Toffee has seen it too.
 

 It's been such a long time since we turned right here that I forgot we were actually on the Grand Union and not the Oxford, as I had first thought. Passing this wide beam, I exclaimed, "how on earth can that travel this waterway?" (The Oxford canal has narrow locks, not the doubles of the GU canal) Ian was very quick to put me right! Wanted to make up for his gaff over the shopping yesterday, no doubt.

 

It was at Wigram Turns that the Oxford is rejoined again and the Grand Union goes off to the right, and gosh there was some fun and games here! A boat coming toward me suddenly cut across to get onto the GU and at the same time a boat came out of the Marina right in my path who clearly hadn't seen me, shame he hadn't sent one of his crew members to the bow to check if the coast was clear!



Oh, and then a chap shouted from the towpath, did we know a plank was caught across the bow. Really...not again...I got off at the bridge to see, and sure enough he was right. Back on board and a reverse managed to dislodge it.


Another wow moment and one not often seen. I noticed this sun halo. Formed by ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere.


Today was a locking day. The Napton flight of 7 and the two 2 at Marston Doles. We hadn't seen any boats travelling our way,  but then at the winding hole just before bottom lock, a boat had was winding. He had come down the flight and ready to go up. Blast but at least only one to follow, I thought, Blimey...I was that wrong, 4 boats waiting to ascend and one coming down. Was there a problem? None that I could see. 4 descending boats had come down, and a passing boater said the lockkeeper had held the ascending boats at the bottom to let the 4 descend first. Well there must have been a reason, but for the life of me I couldn't fathom it out. The only thing I did notice was a low pound. Very surprising as those 4 boats would have brought water down with them. It never did come to light, so am none the wiser.




Finally, my turn, and good to see a volunteer helping boaters through.


Looked like mayhem at the next lock. Like the way I framed this photo๐Ÿ˜I took it looking through the top gate.๐Ÿ˜„
 


 

What should have taken about 40 minutes took 10 minute short of two hours! At every lock, either the boat in front was still waiting or the gates were open at the top for a boat to enter. Lunch was put on hold, as was any hope of having a hot drink. This did now put our plans behind. Ian had hoped to be moored by 1 pm. It was nearer 3.30 pm when we did finally stop. 


And seen on route

Yes, the hull was surrounded by water. Not sure how he will ever be able to do the blacking!

And wildlife,







4 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

The 4 boats that brought the water down would also have taken it out of the flight when they left

Jenny said...

Those are gorgeous photos of the church and the full moon, well done!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Good point, Brian and Diana. (:

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Jenny Xx

Blog Archive