About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 30 August 2019

Yellow warning.... oh eck

Luck was with us last night, as the skies remained cloud-free giving a lovely golden sunset. Crossing fingers also worked because by 10 pm the night sky was filled with stars. I could just about see a hazy milky way and I was hoping to take photos. Could I remember what settings to set the camera too? Nop I could not but I tell you it was good.




The break in the weather didn't last long though as later that night the wind picked up and the rain started. High winds had been forecasted and by mutual consent the next morning it was agreed to leave the Island. The Skye bridge is shut during high winds to high sided vehicles and with the winds set to increase tomorrow we thought it best not to be stuck on the wrong side.




By God did it rain during the journey. Yellow warnings had been issued which included localised flooding. Joining the A 87 it was head east to make for Fort Augustus. With all that rain came some pretty spectacular waterfalls, the only good side to the bad weather.








At Fort Augustus, The Caledonian canal joined the Loch Ness and it had been many a year since we were last there. Ian was convinced the Scottish canals were all part of C&RT, I was not and so marched over to one of the lock-keepers to ask. I was right....of course!


Bagpiper busker.
Tomorrow Kev and Gundc leave us, they to head home to Nuneaton and us to carry on in Scotland for another week. As it was our last night together we found a restaurant that would allow us to stay overnight. A Seafood posh place, small portions, large plates and very tasty it was too even though a tad pricy.

And wildlife,

Oystercatchers at sunset.


4 comments:

Barbara said...

Your pictures are bringing back so many lovely memories thank you. xx

Dave Ward said...

I hope you realise how long I've been spending on Google Earth and various "Nightstops" sites trying to locate your overnight parking locations! I must have "Virtually" traveled further than either of you, and the scenery is spectacular. You are braver than I would be in the same vehicles, particularly as my concerns about grounding came true (but not to the "Beast"). If I ever get up that way it will be in something a lot smaller. I am impressed with the frequent passing places provided on all the narrow roads, something that would be welcome down in the wilds of Norfolk. Why is it always me who has to reverse 200 yds when meeting another vehicle? I hope you get a break in the weather, although last night's didn't look too promising.

nb Bonjour said...

We had a lovely boating holiday years ago now, from Inverness through Loch Ness to the top of Neptune's Staircase - no time to go further, but it was fabulous. Hope you are both keeping well
Debby

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Dave, I must say we have had some of the best places to stop with views either overlooking the hills or lochs. Some are planned, some are spur of the moment decisions and we still have more to come. The roads here are better than I expected and I did worry at first that the Beast was too big. But if you do get a van I would say don't worry about the size, it really doesn't matter!(:

Blog Archive