About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 25 August 2019

At last...a cow!

Blooming midges!!! Attacked again last night and here was I thinking we were far enough away from the loch for them not to bother us. The door only had to be opened a crack and we were inundated. The one light we had on was covered in the things and even the fly spray didn't deter the blighters. Made from stern stuff these Scottish midges! A good 10 minutes spent with a cloth swiping the beasties 'cos no way was I going to bed until they were all gone!

Since arriving in the highlands I have been on the lookout for cows, not any old cow, no, a Highland cow with its long horns and shaggy coat. Last time we were in Scotland, about 40 odd years ago, Highland cattle were everywhere. Now it seems they have become one of the rare breeds as very few are farmed these days. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find these in a field by the roadside. Not great photos as we were zooming past at the time.



 Slight disappointment today. We had hoped to stop and walk to Smoo Cave but the car park was completely full so onwards down more single track roads to continue driving the NC500. The scenery was breathtaking and loads of places to pull off the road to stop and admire. Why then, with all those places to stop, did we pull over for lunch in a recycling centre!





Kylesku Bridge open by the Queen in 1984

First sheep...now chickens!



At least you can see far enough to see what's coming.
 And todays wildlife,









6 comments:

Barbara said...

I’m really enjoying your journey!

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you Barbara. Xxx

Dave Ward said...

I hate being the "Party Pooper", but you could probably have seen Highland Cattle when you were in Norfolk! I remember this newspaper story:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/business/farming/highland-cattle-are-grazing-a-trail-for-wildlife-at-whitwell-common-1-5145553

Their Facebook page shows one late last year:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/610172162374649/videos/2709682745924028/

I think you went past (possibly visited?) the Whitwell & Reepham Railway, which is just round the corner. I'll have to go there and see if I can find them, but not until this new "heatwave" dies down....

Paul Clark said...

Hi Irene

Glad the trip's going well. Some beautiful scenery up there.

Your moth made me think. But I'm now pretty certain it's a rather worn example of Udea lutealis, which has the British name Pale Straw Pearl.

There should be plenty of larger wildlife about too!

Paul

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Oh, Dave, you know how to rub salt into a wound! Heatwave? What heatwave!! Nothing but cloud and rain today. We have crossed the Skye Bridge and are now in Skye where the weather is abysmal! As to those Highland Cattle, you are quite right we did stop at the Whitwell and Reepham railway. I should have gone for a walk but Highland cattle were the last thing I expected in Norfolk. Next time I will be on the lookout. (:

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Paul. It wasn't a great photo but I pursued it relentlessly and did the best I could. Keep the info coming, I felt sure you would let me know. (:

Blog Archive