About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 14 December 2014

Shower put on hold

What a sight. (In more ways then one). This greeted us as we drew back the curtains. Still in my nighty I shot out the back to take this photo. Thankfully it was still a bit early for anyone to be about otherwise they may have got quite a shock as this women appeared out of the boat with very little on!

Not much in the way of progress today as far as the bathroom was concerned. Had to go out to get a new gas bottle and then as we were relatively near to our daughters we called in to collect the post. I also took the opportunity to use her shower for a hair washing session. Lovely not to have to pour jugs of water over ones head, and to top it all, the water was hot. Sheer bliss. By the time we left it was gone 11am so didn't arrive back to FS until lunchtime. Then after lunch Ian siphoned 100 ltrs of diesel into FS's tank. A friend had got us the diesel for 60p ltr and delivered it himself in his own drums. He even added an additive to stop the diesel bug. What a star.  By now time was marching on and, instead of carrying on with the shower, Ian decided to do a job that needed doing for over a week. After burning wood we noticed tar running down the side of the flew. Smelt horrible and Ian concluded that a hole must have been in the silicon surrounding the top of the chimney for the tar to run down. Next 2 hours was spent cleaning the chimney, digging out all the goo, a run to Screwfix......again.... to purchase some silicon (must have shares in the place by now judging by the amount we have spent there) and given the fire a thorough clean.

Lovely clean flew

Before replacing the silicon
  Of course for this to happen we had to close off the stove so it would go out. Not as cold today but still chilly enough to put the diesel heater on instead. Good job we filled the tank then, 'cause goodness knows how long the heating will be on for, especially as we need to allow the silicon to 'go off' and, in these cold conditions, that could take a while. Anyway.... Once that job was done Ian managed to lag the pipes in the bathroom and then hide them by placing the new box. Only trouble with that was he made the box to fit the pipes before the lagging went on and is now to small. As I write this he has gone across to the workshop to make a new one. This man of mine is a gem and is never happier then when he is doing things. He may moan and groan at me for finding him work but he would go stir crazy if left to do nothing. So as you can see. I'm actually doing him a favour. Smiley

Box would have fitted if it was not for the lagging

With nothing to take Ian's time tomorrow, other then carrying on with the shower, there could be quite a bit to show. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Blog Archive