About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 24 June 2020

OMG Jury service and once more without battery power!

Blast blast blast. A letter arrived at Langley boat yard addressed to me. On top of the letter was the words Tribunal Service. Why it should have gone to the boatyard was beyond me as the address on the letter was Free Spirit, Great Northern Basin! To say my heart missed a beat was an understatement. What could it be??? Had I done something wrong??? I had to know what was in it so asked Vikki the owner of the boatyard to open it. The mention of Jury service made my heart drop and when a fine was mentioned if I hadn't replied to the letter within 7 days...well I did panic. The letter had arrived at the boatyard only yesterday but was dated the 12th so you can see why I expected a fine. And Jury service date to attend Nottingham Crown Court was for the 12th of August.

I didn't sleep very well last night. Questions of how would I get there without a car, would I stay safe being in a courtroom environment, what about the mooring restrictions of having to move after 14 days, how long would I be needed for, what about our Thames trip...it went on and on. I did have a phone number and a jury number and I knew the phones would be manned at 9 am. All I had to do was be patient.

 Setting off by 8 am again and saying farewell to our cruising buddies, I decided that I may as well put on a wash load. But the machine didn't switch on. Straight to Ian to sort it out and news we didn't want to hear, the alternator travel pack had packed up again. Blooming 'eck Ian only fitted the reconditioned one this April. Those that read my musings will remember we had to return to Langley Mill early last November and hire a car to fetch get our generator. Then once back at the Mill Ian took the alternator to Cox's. Took a week but they said it was fixed. So how come we have only been running it for 36 hours and it's gone again!


 So back to the Jury service. I was in a phone queue for the best part of 30 minutes but I wasn't prepared to try later as suggested by the operator. I needed to know about the fine and also if there was any way I could get out of it. Well, I must say the chap I spoke to was very helpful. Firstly he put my mind at rest about the fine. His word was in this difficult time with Covid, no fines would be issued. Then after I explained about living on a boat, not being able to receive mail and how I wasn't allowed to stay longer than 14 days on a mooring, he listened and said, in that case, I will cross you off the list....Yipee...a result....the relief was immense and just proves that there are get-out clauses for jury service!

At Fazely Junction we continued onto the Coventry canal. To turn right is to head towards Birmingham on the Birmingham and Fazely Canal, we turned left towards Atherstone.



Arrived at Glascote locks really hot and bothered but so pleased to see the solar panels charging the batteries. Good-o hopefully I can still watch tv tonight. We were lucky that the locks were with us but that bottom lock...my God the fill is that slow. Read the Ode to a leaky lock in this post here.  Another boat turned up and the chap came up to help. Turns out he reads this blog! Wish I had asked his name but it was lovely to have a brief chat. I had hoped to see him at Atherstone but the boat never came past. We did see Jim and Jenn again too. They had just arrived at the lock and Jenn came up to us in the top lock for a brief natter.



Noticed that C&RT were putting in new pilling. Keep up the good works lads! Bet they were hot!!!


Also noticed what I first thought was scum on the water. Not so sure though as once in the middle of the stuff it looked like wall/ceiling plaster. Eventually it petered out and right by a tanning salon too. Ian reckons they were having work done and the workman disposed of the unwanted plaster in the canal. Now I may be wrong and if anyone had also seen it and has another theory I would be pleased to know.



 So we are now moored at Atherstone, in the long pound having ascended 2 locks. Before the engine was allowed to cool down Ian whipped out his tools ๐Ÿ˜‰ took out the travel pack and alternator and set off for Coxs.




Lovely mooring but no shade. Our weather temperature gauge reads 34 degrees!
 And good news on his return as he told me they would try and fix it by Friday. All we need to do is be careful on the battery usage and hope the solar panels keep the volts up.

And seen on Atherstone bottom lock gate and wall, fungus and a weird green spider.







8 comments:

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

You were very lucky with Jury service. They are usually very flexible about the date (such as allowing you to do it in the winter when you are on your home mooring) but usually very strict on opting out completely.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Paul, I really did not expect to be let off but very glad they did. Ian has managed to get the maps working and has installed the software on my machine. I just need to figure out how to use it!

Dave Ward said...

Can't remember if I've asked this before, but is your domestic electrical system 12 or 24 volts? If it's 12 volts there is always the possibility of arranging a "Jump" lead from engine to domestic battery banks, which will allow some charging when you've got the engine running. You only need to link the respective positive terminals, as the negatives will (or should) be connected together. Remember to remove the link when the engine is shut down...

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Dave, its 24 volts and Ian managed to work that one out. He tried it today and it worked a treat. Thanks for the info, keep them coming. Xx

Dave Ward said...

Do you mean that both domestic AND engine are 24 volt systems? Unusual, but it keeps the cable sizes down. I wouldn't recommend linking different voltages together - unless you enjoy firework displays! If a temporary "bodge" works, why not make it permanent - with a dedicated isolator to make the connection if it's ever needed? Just make sure you fit a brightly coloured lanyard (or similar) to the key, so as not to forget you've left it turned on.

I can't help thinking that ditching the troublesome travel pack and going down the standard alternator & inverter route would save a lot of hassle in the long run. You've already (hopefully) got space to mount an inverter (where the travel pack control box sits). All that's needed is a pair of 35mm or 50mm flexible cables from there to your battery bank. With luck these could go where the existing cables to/from the alternator currently run. I know it's all money, but the more common arrangement allows you to have mains without running the "Donk", and during summer months (with your solar panels) this could be quite a bit of the time.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi, Dave I have let Ian explain as this is all beyond me.

The domestic batteries are 24V but the starter is a standard 12V. We already have an inverter. The travel pack supplies the 230V to power the inverter charger and the heavy electrical loads such as the washing machine.
The system has worked perfectly for 13 years and it is only since we entrusted the repairs to the so-called experts that we have had problems.
Thanks for your interest

Thanks again, Dave.

Anonymous said...

<>

It was me! Chris of nb Wrens-Nest it was good to meet you.

My blog is: https://narrowboatwrensnest.wordpress.com/

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Nice to meet you, Chris. I will add you to my blog list.

Blog Archive