About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 19 June 2020

Not my finest reverse attempt.

Horrible day yesterday the rain never let up until late afternoon so no way were we going anywhere. Only one boat passed us, head down, brolly up and at some speed too, I might add! Hmm, this is one of my many bugbears but I'm just going to have to get used to it as it seems to be the norm these days. Today though, according to the met office it was supposed to be better and believing what they said set of a tad after 9am.

First stop was the facilities at Willington and had just pulled onto the mooring when it chucked it down (so much for that forecast). Water, loo etc, the deed done it was onwards to Dallow lock and at last we were back to the singles.

The geese are always at Dallow lock


 The destination was Branston Water Park. Fathers day on Sunday and our daughter hopes to come with the grandsons for a visit. All social distancing, of course, and the only time they will be allowed onto the boat will be to use the loo. Plenty of hand sanitizer at the ready methinks. At Shobnall Marina we noticed diesel was 69p ltr so decided to pull in. Not an easy thing to do in the wind. Jim and Jen had gone in first and by the time it was my turn that wind had picked up something rotten. The only time I was glad it was raining because there were no gongoozlers to watch my attempt. Took several goes but got there in the end.

My turn next

Not easy to reverse in when it's windy.



 Thought it may have been busy at the water park but we arrived around 1ish and found a mooring right outside the entrance. By 4pm only a few spaces were left. Were they all liveaboards? Hmmm, I think not. Still, I think this rule of only those living on a boat would be able to stay overnight is a stupid one. To me, there is not a safer place than being outside on the water away from all the crowds. And if one is careful around the locks (gloves, masks, sanitizers and washing hands once back on board) and we make sure to check for folk before getting off, I don't see why leisure boaters have to be penalised. 
 

 The weather had improved enough for me to give the port side another polish. I had never been truly happy with the result after that fall of mine. With me hurting too much but determined to get it done, I carried on regardless but missed quite a bit of the paintwork.

We now have a folding bike given to us by Ian's sister so while I was polishing Ian fitted the stand. Should make life a bit easier on lock flights.




 Wildlife today,




In FS and emerged from behind the sofa bed.

.

No comments:

Blog Archive