About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 12 June 2020

A right pair of crocks and into the drink I go!

Accident-prone...that's how we saw ourselves recently. It was Ian who first injured himself by falling off the stern of FS! All he wanted to do was make a phone call and not wanting to disturb my Netflix viewing, he took with him a freshly made cup of coffee fully expecting the call to last for a while. Carrying both cup and phone he made to step off the back of FS, foot contacted the wooden block put there for my benefit (high step, short legs) and ended up in a heap by the stern button fender! Said block had rolled forward and with both hands occupied, down he went. Hearing the commotion I rushed out to find him on the floor clutching his side and blood dripping from his head! Head wound always bleeds massively even with a small cut and luckily this was only a small cut. More worrying was his shoulder and him clutching his side. Ian being Ian though got up, shook himself off and said he was fine. Hmmm....not convinced seeing as every time he tried to do anything with his left arm he winced. And annoyingly he broke one of my cups!!!! But this was NOT to be the only incident that happened to us as you will see later.

Block of wood
Last Sunday and we managed to move out from between those boats in the basin by pushing all the boats on our starboard side towards the bank. Taking the helm I eased out and managed NOT to hit Bath in the process. Deciding to moor bankside before going through the swing bridge this meant we would be able to wash and polish the starboard side.

Help from Jim and Jenn to pull those boats back.


The following day we set too removing the roof furniture and took the best part of the day to clean all the grime from the old girl and polish the side. Ian also decided to touch up the scratches on the gunwale where he accused me (blooming cheek) of having scratched the paintwork! Anyway, it was a good job we did stay that night as those stupid Swans (will they ever learn) first tried to take the family below lock again (and we all know what happened the last time they did that) and then, when I rushed over to stop them, headed straight for the road! Thank goodness Jim and Jenn were around 'cos between us and, discounting any injury that could have been inflicted by the swan's aggression, managed to get the family back to the canal.  Phew!

That night it turned cold and although Ian never feels chilly I complained bitterly about the air temperature and wanted the stove lit. So off he goes back to the workshop where a good supply of cut logs was to be found. On his way back and trying to take a short cut to FS, his feet slipped down the wet bank and once more he was deposited unceremoniously onto the ground, missing going into the cut by the skin of his teeth. More injury's to add to join the first couple as one of the logs dug into his side and bruised one of his ribs. Good God, I thought, my able-bodied hubby was turning into a physical wreck!



Now, you would think that would be the end to our woos but like I have said before,  'Everything comes in threes'.

On the Tuesday and before the predicted rain was due to set in, we went through the swing bridge to be on our old mooring spot. Jim and Jenn had already pushed across to make room. Now the next phase of FS's clean up came into force. Ian was busy doing other things so once again it was left to me to do the deed. Having successfully washed the roof and cabin sides, dried all the paintwork out came the polish for the Portside to be done.  Well....in all the years we have moored by the swing bridge never have I ever fallen in. Tuesday was to be the exception. Picture this if you will. I had started putting on the polish gradually walking backwards as I'm doing it and working my way toward the bow of the boat. Before I continue with my tale I should just say that the swing bridge hadn't always been across the entrance to the basin as a stop lock was the only means to enter the Nottingham canal from the Cromford canal. As with any lock there is a lock gate recess and it was into this recess that I backed into!!

See that mooring ring? I believe that was what I landed on before going in
 OMG!!! There was nothing I could do to stop myself other than put both arms out, the left onto the gunwale and the right onto the bank. So there I was trapped between FS and the bank with no means of getting out. Shouting for all my worth Ian came running and how relieved was I that he had heard me. Somehow that man of mine managed to drag me out even with his injuries! Sitting on the side I became aware of the pain in my coccyx region. It was obvious what I had done. On the way down my bottom had made contact with the bank presumably hitting the mooring ring before the rest of me entered the murky depths. There I sat for a while feeling a right idiot, especially as just at that moment an elderly couple came walking past. Laughingly I told them what had happened but boy did I feel a fool. Anyway long story short, I stripped off just inside the back doors, made my way to the bathroom to shower and once dressed resumed the polishing of FS. It was only when I went to sit down later that I realised I may have to stand up all night! The pain....excrutiating. Plenty of Panadol and a soft cushion helped but I think this could delay our departure this weekend, especially as today is Friday and I'm not much better. As for Ian, he is also pill popping so another few days won't hurt either of us. In a way I should be thankful for small mercies. Having a rather larger than average posterior may have cushioned my injuries somewhat๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜

Instead of staying on our old mooring, we pulled back through the swing bridge to allow Jim and Jenn to move back and plug into the electrics. It's a bit nearer to the road here and we do get a lot more footfall past the boat but as it's only for a few more days (hopefully) and this is something we can easily cope with on the short term.

The Wagtail chick certainly has grown.





8 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh dear, so sorry to read about your falls and injuries. Better make sure they stop right now!
Jenny and Robin Romany Rambler

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

You two are not fit to be let out on your own!
Before you head away too far, get yourselves to an osteopath - there is a place called the Osteopathic Centre in Long Eaton, 18 Gibb St. You may well find they will give you a bulk discount ...

Please both of you, watch where you are putting your feet!

M&Dxox

Anonymous said...

I can sympathise as I've just got over my back pain.
Lots of rest is needed I think, all those boaty jobs will wait.
Do take care and hope you will bothe be feeling fit again soo.
Ann Makemson xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Marilyn, great idea about the Osteopath but I am unlikely to get an appointment in the near future. The lockdown meant they have only recently opened so most likely to be fully booked up. I'm not going to even try as I'm sure in time the bruising will go. Moving isn't a problem, just sitting for long periods. Anyway both of us are itching to leave so Monday is the target date. Hope you both are well and sending all our love. Xxx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Jenny, Bruises will heal eventually so we just have to be patient and not do too much. We will be leaving the basin Monday and both of us can't wait to get going. Keep safe and well. Xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Ann. Ian is already on the road to recovery, as for me it might take that bit longer so good job I can steer the boat as Ian will have to do the locks when we leave on Monday. Hope you are fit and well too. Xxx

KevinTOO said...

It looks like that Wagtail chick is having some difficulty finding it's feet too ๐Ÿ˜‰
Glad to know that neither of you need anything other than a few painkillers ๐Ÿคจ
Safety first please you two, I think the NHS is a tad on the busy side ATM ๐Ÿ™„

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Your right Kevin, the last place either of us wants to end up in is a hospital not just for the Covid risk but because the wonderful NHS is already rushed off their feet.:) Xx

Blog Archive