About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 5 September 2014

A case of Sods Law.

Well I'm pleased to repoert that Jade is back to her usual doddery self. Doesn't appear that any lasting damage was done to her hind leg so I did give her a walk this morning. All of 50yds.

We left late this morning as Ian had to have the car's MOT done first. Fully expected it to fail but having put less the 6000 on the clock this year, she was in better nick then we had thought. So it was a case of sods law that passing the only decent mooring available this morning at Newlands, was no longer vacant when we returned from watering up. Instead a long right handed bend at the end of the line offered the only place to moor the boat. We stopped and secure FS the best we could, being very aware that Jade needed to get off the back. This meant the bow was sticking out into the channel and, with a large fallen bush on the offside, the channel was already reduced to half its width. Not a good mooring and when we were nearly side swiped through no fault of the other boater, we decided that it was best if we didn't stay.

Bow well out from the cladding.

 So we walked back to Campbell park and was lucky to find one spot free by a large Crack Willow but it was better then the mooring we had now so we high tailed it back to FS, up stakes and moved to that point. We manage to move far enough forward so the branches didnt go over the rear of the boat. The bow still sticks out slightly as its on another bend but the channel is wider so I dont think that will cause a problem. Haven't decided what to do now. This mooring is 14 day so could stay until we need to move to Fenny Stratford or we could move to Gifford Park. Decision will be made after the weekend.

Only two photos taken on route to the water point.

No comments:

Blog Archive