About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 25 July 2014

It was huge beastie.

I couldn't believe the size of it.  About gave me a heart attack, I can tell you. All I was doing was moving my small bait fridge to retrieve a dropped item and the thing nearly ran up my arm!!! With me having hysterics it then ran up the side of the locker and stopped on it's considerably large web! After I had calmed down I grabbed the camera to take its picture.

All this happened last night and it took some guts to finish what I was doing. I gave it a wide berth until it disappeared and I know the beastie is lurking somewhere in the well deck ready to pounce.

This morning we pulled pins to head for Haughton Dale Nature reserve seen in Nicholsons. We were instructed to moor by bridge 9 and luckily a mooring was available. Wth Ian coming along for a walk we took Jade and found a lovely spot by the River Tame for her to have a refreshing swim.


Ian had to help her up.
 Ian then departed back to FS with Jade while I carried on walking to see what else there was around.



It wasnt until late morning I returned to FS, feeling very hot and sweaty. After lunch we pulled pins again with the idea of getting onto the Huddelsfield Narrow canal at Dunkinfield Junction, doing the 5 locks and mooring at Stalybridge.



 Didn't quite work out that way because, as we came through the last lift bridge before the junction, a lady on a moored boat, said that another boater told of youths throwing bricks at passing boats in Stalybridge. Not wanting to have our roof or paintwork damaged we choose to stay in Dunkinfield.

Looking from the aqueduct

Dunkinfield Junction
 
Looking toward Huddersfield Narrow canal (through the white footbridge)

  Now Ian wanted to fill the boat with diesel in readiness for the journey through Standedge Tunnel. If the stern can be weighted down, we stand more chance of being excepted for the passage through.  The only boatyard selling diesel was at Portland Basin and the only way onto the diesel point was to reverse in.


The only way to the service point was to go in backward.

Quite a challenge.

 So with me at the helm I started the maneuver. Now I'm not one to blow my own trumpet (is that a cough I hear?) but after a few corrections to get myself straight, I didn't do a bad job. The only trouble was, as I got through the narrow bit, I noticed a boat already on the services! With no way of both boats passing I had to drive out, moor up, wait for the boat to leave and then do the whole thing over again. Talk about challenging and trying out my boat handling skills. And all this being watched by a resident lady boater, (the boat pictured above) a couple walking their dog and the chap from the boatyard. Thank goodness my second attempt was as good as the first, not a wall or boat hit. Then 60 Ltr of fuel later costing 90p a Ltr, an offer of moorings with electric for £6, (which we accepted) and a mooring right by the junction was the perfect setting for an early start tomorrow. And to top it all, just down the steps from our mooring was the river. A great way for Jade to cool off and have her last paddle.

 We hope to get through the troubled area before 8am tomorrow, that is before the little darlings are awake and can cause anymore havoc!

Great mooring at Portland Basin.
Last paddle for Jade.

No comments:

Blog Archive