About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 15 May 2014

My Goldfish in a bowl rant!.


I finally lost it! We have endured 6 years of being stared at through the window by people walking by. Okay I understand that boats are a novelty to the majority but why blatantly put their faces up against the pane and stare in at us and our belongings as if we are zoo animals in a cage!  Today a family with 2 boys stopped by FS. I heard them say 'Look  a TV I wonder what else is inside'. They all then peered in through the glass and appeared completly unfazed when I glared back at them. Thats when I finally lost it. So we went to Dunelms and bought net curtains. Not something I wanted but enough was enough. We only purchased two and two extending poles which can be moved from one side to the other. My next task will be cutting them to fit as 36" drop was the smallest we could find and our windows are about 22".



Calming my nerves this afternoon I did a spot of fishing. You would think sitting in the glorious sunshine minding ones own business would be calming enough. Normally it would but I nearly jumped out of my skin when this huge Military Transporter plane, roughly 20ft from the ground,  flew directly overhead. I wasn't quick enough to take a photo of it heading straight for us (that would have been an amazing photo) but got it as it flew overhead.




Then the peace and quiet was once more shattered when the grass cutting crew arrived. Ian had not long painted the new topbox lid and would have been fuming if grass had been stuck to it. So to make sure they stopped before they got to us he moved everything he could next to the boat and then stood over it expecting the worse. They were actually very understanding and bypassed us without a single blade of grass cut.






You can see where they stopped.
Still no news from Christine and with the ECP&DA AGM tonight Ian has left for that on his own leaving me with Taxi phone number just in case I need to rush to Burton Hospital.

2 comments:

Jo Lodge said...

You rant away my dear. I know exactly what you mean. When we had our other boat with windows, exactly the same thing happened and so I also went and bought net curtains. It gets to a point where enough is enough and they would not like it if you stood in their garden looking through their windows.

Hugsss Jo & Keith x

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks Jo. Glad I'm not alone. Xxxxx

Blog Archive