About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Monday, 30 April 2012

I was wrong, there is no hope for us. Or even our son

I was rudely woken this morning by Ian banging doors and calling Jade for her first walk. What on earth was the matter with him? He's normally really quiet first thing in the morning. All became clear when I looked to see what the time was. The clock showed 8.30am  I looked out the window and noticed the sun was shinning. What a lovely change not to hear rain beating down on the roof, but hang on, why did it appear so low in the sky at 8.30 am?  I'll tell you why, because it was only 5.45 am! Our bedroom clock was still ticking away but on a go slow. Me thinks its time to replace the battery.. Unbeknown to me, Ian had also put the toast on and made a cup of tea thinking it was so late. He was even about to start the engine to charge the battery, seeing as how we would be out all day. Thank goodness he looked at the clock in the engine room because I don't think our neighbours would have been very happy with us running the engine at that time of the morning.! After calling Ian a complete idiot, I didn't feel it was worth trying to go back to sleep so got up instead. There was a symphony of bird song ( is that the right word?) calling to me to venture out with the camera. Jade didn't mind going out again but the only picture worth taking throughout the walk was of our lovely moorings.

After my breakfast (at the correct hour) we departed for Bletchely. Ian wanted a new pair of shoes ready for the Christening in Poland next week, and I desperately needed new slippers, mine having fallen to bits. Then it was off to Colin's to start work. A slight problem arose when we got there. Although we had his front door key, he forgot to leave the garage key and all Ians tools happened to be in the garage. A quick phone call to Colin confirmed that the only other person to have a spare key was his builder and he had cleared off on holiday for a week! We did no more then turn round and come back to the boat. No point staying there twiddlng our thumbs. Instead Ian kept himself busy doing bits and bobs round the boat, cleanng brasses, sweepng the chimney, printng  birthday cards etc, while I got to know the couple, Jill and Keith on Nb Windrifter. Tomorrow we try again but it does appear the the Jameison madness has already spread to our son!!

Just one other thing to mention. The tame mouse running around from boat to boat, is known as Norman!

No comments:

Blog Archive