About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 11 May 2022

Who would be the victor?

Groan... I have toothache. Started a day or two ago, but has steadily got worse. Anything hot or cold turns me into a quivering wreck, and eating on that side has become difficult. I know what it is. The left back molar has been loose for years, and maybe biting on something hard has caused it to shift in the socket. As much as I love our life afloat, it's times like these that one realises just how difficult it is to see anyone from the NHS. A checkup appointment had been made for the end of May by our Eastwood Dentists, we knew we would be back by then, so plenty of painkillers for the next couple of weeks until then! (Although, if it gets unbearable, I will just have to find something local.)

Rugby for provisions was the destination for this morning. A couple of hours cruise would see us arrive just in time for those overnighters to leave. A boat had passed us before 8 am, we left 10 minute later and caught him up at the Barby Straight. Looking behind I noticed another boat following, quite a distance away and really didn't expect it to catch up but blimey....the next time I glanced behind, it was right on FS's tail! It was a CRT workboat and boy can they shift. I know this because ECP&DA workboat, Pentland, has a real turn of speed on her!


 

I felt he would probably have liked to pass us, but what was the point with that other boat ahead. We were that near to Hillmorton anyway, and with the paired locks all the way down the flight, it shouldn't take any one of us too long to descend. I saw another CRT guy in the distance. He stopped and then turned around heading back the way he had come. With windlass in hand, guessed he was with that workboat, and knew that help would be forthcoming. 



I sort of hoped I would overtake the lead boat once at the locks. He was a lone boater, and they usually take slightly longer at locks than a boat with crew. That CRT guy helped get him through the first, though, and Ian wasn't quite quick enough to get my side open.








Middle lock had a volunteer, he had already filled both locks and had almost opened the gate. Gosh, it was now getting exciting, and I started feeling a bit competitive. Come on Ian, get a move on.  It was now a question of who would cross the line first?

Both boats descended together, so it was neck and neck as we excited the middle lock.  My conscience wouldn't allow me to barge ahead. No, I waved him on first.

 


But at the bottom pair, both locks needed filling. Ian had raced ahead and pulled paddles on both locks, but my side filled faster, (He had whipped them up first, I would have been really peeved if he hadn't!) so as I entered I noticed a problem by this chap getting the boat into the lock.

 

I knew then that I was ahead, almost doing a celebration dance, and was down and out before he had half emptied the lock. 





 

Rugby was it usual busy self. Another narrow section to negotiate, it's bad all along with those overhanging veg, but that bit going toward the 1-day mooring on the right was a right pain. Into the shrubs, Ian went, when he tried to reverse to avoid an oncoming boat. Hmm, thankfully no damage done to the Cratch board or cover.

Oops

Shopping done, we were off to Old Oaks Wood. Trying to moor with boats going past was frustrating, but we managed in the end. Unfortunately the spot we chose wasn't ideal, couldn't get the stern anywhere near the bank, And cross pins forward and aft were a must because of the mad idiots who DO NOT SLOW DOWN!!!!!! Even crossed pinned, they started to pull out of the ground. So when we had a visit from a very nice lady off the blue boat telling us they were leaving within the hour, it was quite a relief, so as soon as they were gone, FS was reversed back. That was a much better mooring with a concrete and steel edge where a chain could be wrapped around securely at the bow and the stern rope tied to another rope attached to the steel.


First mooring


Second mooring
 Oh, and all you fisherman out there, don't bother!!! It’s dire!

And seen on route, boats on top of boats. How on earth can they see where they are going?



And wildlife

Yellow Tail Moth Caterpillar.


Pied Wagtail


Weevil

Has the abdomen of a wasp, but what is it? Could it be the cuckoo bee? Named because it lays its eggs in mining bees nests. Or maybe a Sawfly? I’m hoping someone out there can let me know. Thanks go to Jennies son who identified it as a Nomad bee - they are a parasite of other bees. It is either Panzer Nomad', or Flavous Nomad

4 comments:

Jennie said...

Hi Irene, I have sent a copy of the insect photo to our son, so watch this space! I hope the tooth ache subsides. Jennie x

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, Jennie. xx

Jennie said...

Hi again, sorry for the delay - he is a busy lad! This is his reply 'it is one of the Nomad bees - they are a parasite of other bees. From the picture I cannot say exactly which it is, but it is likely to be either Panzer Nomad', or Flavous Nomad'. I hope that helps? Jennie x

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Oh that's great Jennie. Thank your son from me. Xxx

Blog Archive