About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 15 May 2022

I make a prediction

 Saturday 14th

What a wonderful start to the day, wall-to-wall sunshine giving off welcoming warmth. We didn't get away too early, it was after 8 am before the engine was started, but before we pushed away, a bit of cleaning was required. Catkins carpeted the cabin top, and birds had made a field day of using the solar panels for target practice!

 

Glascote locks was not even an hour's cruise, would there be queues? I can't remember the last time we sailed through the flight of two without having to wait. "I predict there will be two boats ahead of us" I said to Ian. He pooh-poohed my statement, saying I couldn't possibly know. Well, my prediction was right! Ian called me a witch after that, maybe I should give the lottery a go! 

Not far from Glascote and a familiar boat was spied. At first, I was unsure if it was the Harnser with Brian and Diana on board. That lady, who I now know was Diana, replied yes to my inquiry. A hand appeared from the engine hole, must belong to Brian, the hand waved, we waved as well. I looked back and just caught a glimpse of Brian. I don't know why we didn't stop to say hello. Very remiss of us, must do so next time.

It’s strange that the water point should be on what I deemed to be the lock landing, can't say if I have ever noticed. We certainly have never stopped for water there. Bollards are on the other side of the entrance to Glascote basin boatyard, so at least waiting wasn't an issue.  I could see the one boat by the lock and the second the other side of the entrance. I stopped FS behind the second boat and Ian set off to see what was what. The hose was out filling that first boat's tank. Then a stroke of luck because the second boater also wanted water and was waiting for the tap to become free. I could see a boat ascending the lock, so assumed I would be next, and almost pushed away from the side. Good job I didn't because the chap on the lock landing/water point signalled to say he was ready to descend and would now take the lock. Oh well, my turn would come…eventually




My turn.

At Fazeley Junction, I became lookout. Last thing we wanted was to play dodgems with a boat exiting the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal.

A loud groan from Ian when a day boat was caught up. They were having fun, going slow and taking it in turns to steer. One looked behind and must have panicked slightly because the boat made a beeline for the bank and one of the crew made a very impressive leap, and with the rope, onto the bank.


 Going past, we noticed the absence of glasses. Instead, mugs were on show, where was the booze?  Was this the Teetotal club outing? No, plenty of beer and wine set out on the table for later.

The day had warmed up nicely, hardly a breath of wind, so by midday we had found the perfect spot to stop. Room enough on the towpath for the table and chairs, lunch was outside enjoying the sun. Fishing wasn't much cop, but not that it mattered, after several glasses of shandy my strike reactions would have been too slow anyway.

 



And wildlife

One fluffed up Magpie.









6 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

We were just making ready to set off home when you passed. It was warmer on the boat thats for sure.

Halfie said...

Amazing photos as always, Irene. And a great action shot of the leap to the bank! How do you do it?

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thanks, John. Sometimes I get lucky, pressing the shutter just at the right moment. Because I use a camera rather than a phone, I can choose which settings to use, usually shutter priority. This means I can set the speed for action shots. xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

That was good timing for us Brian, Glad to have seen you. Enjoy the rest of the summer. xx

Anonymous said...

We can sympathise with you getting a covering of all sorts over the roof.
The worst time was when we were moored tied precariously to s tree trunk on the Thames at Tesco, just before turning right onto the K&A.
We desperately needed food suplies, but came to reget it, the whole of the boat was covered in leaves etc also thick with bird poo. Even worse I couldn't clean it off until later, when it had all set like cement!
Beautifully caught action shot and wonderful wildlife pics, I do enjoy seeing them, thank you.
Ann Makemson.

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Thank you, Ann. Pigeon poo is the worst, especially after berries have been eaten. Stained the roof red! Xx

Blog Archive