About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 6 May 2022

Named and shamed.

May 5th

Guess what... I have done it again! All that rain last night hammering down on FS, which actually cleaned a lot of the dust from the cabin top, also beat down on my phone! Only went and left it on the hatch slide. How it wasn't pinched is a miracle, but of course it now was wet through once more!. The look Ian gave me... it was one of despair. With raised eyebrows and a deep sigh he removed the SIM card, out came the small screwdrivers to remove the back, and into a bowl of rice all the workings went. I really think this time I might have killed it completely.


It didn't take long to get to Aynho Weir lock and with its unique shape can also be a right pain. Trying to keep FS in the middle when the lock was filling was an impossibility and, of course with the bow moving to the right, also difficult to give it a good shove once the lock gate was open. I had a bit of luck with the wind aiding the manoeuvre, and more blacking off on the stern as I hit the wall, darn it! Good job she's in for dry docking in three weeks time!





Oh dear, going was so slow, what's happened to the water levels? After each lock it became worse, I even created a wash at 2mph! At Grants lock I had a real problem. Most of the lock landing was taken by a boat, one very secure boat with chains to the front and rear as well as the centre rope around the middle bollard! I just, and only just, managed to get in front. The lock was full, we could see a boat at the top. Knowing the water would be dropped out, I had nothing to secure FS too. Ian dare not leave me cos the surge of the water as the paddles were drawn would have had me going backwards into that moored boat. I tried to control FS by engaging forward gear, whilst Ian clung for dear life to the centre rope. What do people think of when they moor on a landing? Have they no brain!!!   I'm naming and shaming, it was a boat called Blossom and there is absolutely no excuse for leaving it unattended.



Only the back bollard available.

Having finally been able to ascend Grant's lock, and this was the lock out of action a couple of days ago due to debris behind the lock gate, (it was thought that the local youths had taken their pleasure in throwing the bricks etc into the lock) the water levels were even worse.





Strange because once we reached Banbury and started the ascent at the lock, there were loads of water cascading over the top gate. 

m

We had help at this lock, a very nice gentleman who was bored with sitting at home doing nothing. As he said, it's a great way of meeting folk. He also warned of a bolt sticking out from the top gate, catching the unaware.  His advice was to stay well to the left on the exit.


Waiting for the lift bridge.

Wow, Banbury was busy. Plenty of moored boats and several boats heading toward me. I began to fret that the only space I could see would be snapped up. Unfortunately I had to tuck FS in behind a moored boat to allow those oncoming boats to come past and most relieved when not one showed any inclination on stealing that mooring.



The meal is tonight and so looking forward to that.

And seen on route

Fields of Gold

And wildlife

Linnet




Black Cap

Sedge Warbler


No comments:

Blog Archive