About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 31 July 2019

One set back after another.

30th July.
Up in the 30 degrees plus and another sweltering day. Departure time on the Wizz air flight was 16.50 and by midday, we had cases already in the car for the journey to John Paul 11 Balize international airport. Colin checked the airline to make sure it was on time only to discover the flight wouldn't be leaving until 18.40. Okay so we leave for the airport a bit later then but no even though the flight was delayed, we still had to be checked in before 16.15. Watching the clock ticking away the minutes until the flight was called, well, nearly two hours of mind boggling boredom!


The flight home was anything but smooth. The nearer we got to the UK the worse the weather. And when it came to the landing....well...I thought the end had come! Ian knew all about my terror because after I released his hand, so tight had I grabbed it all his fingers had turned white.

Evening shadow which shows how far back in the plane we sat. Couldn't get much nearer to the tail without sitting on top of it!



 Then as the plane taxied toward the stand Ian happened to ask Colin (jokingly) if he had the house keys. The look of horror that appeared on our son's face was priceless. Had he remembered to pick them up when leaving Nowy Sacz? Did he actually remember seeing them there? Had he left them in the security trays when he went through customs?  Or worse, had he dropped them leaving the taxi on the way to Luton? "Never mind," said I "You can come back to the boat with us and organise a locksmith for the morning". Then Ian dropped the bombshell. "No can do" he replied "Seeing as the car keys are on the bed at Colin's house." "Oh eck", thought I "Now we were in a pickle". Once through customs, Colin checked with lost property and although there must have been over 50 sets of keys left, not one set was his. He phoned Iwona (daughter in law who happened to be staying at her parents for another few days) but after a thorough search of the house, no keys were found. Last resort was to phone the taxi company that had taken us to the airport 5 days previous. Well, talk about a lucky break. He had dropped them in the first taxi which was found later by the driver. After several phone calls, the arrangement was made by the driver to meet Colin at his house and sure enough, he was waiting when we arrived and the keys returned.  A hefty tip was left as a thankyou.

Now, one would think nothing else would go wrong, but during my stay in Poland, I developed severe swelling of my left leg. Previous to flying to Poland I tripped over a step and damaged my shin. The resulting trauma rapidly developed into a huge lump. A bruise quickly followed and travelled all the way down from below the knee to my foot. Today Ian took me to the walk-in centre to get it checked out where I discovered to my horror that I had developed a DVT. So tomorrow I'm off to Derby Hospital to see a consultant and have already been put on blood-thinning tablets. I have also been given strict instructions that if I develop shortness of breath and chest pains to dial 999. Eeek.....What does it say about it never rains but it pours?

7 comments:

nb Bonjour said...

Ow. Best wishes for your leg! As a little consolation, I think the safest place to be on a plane is at the back!
Debby xx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

That DVT results from your terror response on the flight, Irene - no blood could get past your gritted teeth and clenched fists ...

Have they recommended flight socks? If not, do get some and wear them for a while.

You will need to make sure all is well for your NZ trip, so do whatever the medics tell you to! And if you don't already have flight socks, get some and wear them while flying! Perhaps get Ian to cough up for Business Class so you can lie flat - he doesn't need it of course ...

Big hugs, M&D xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Can you imagine what Ian would say to me having a Business class seat and he didn't! Not printable here Marilyn! Your tip is a good one and I will enquire about compression socks when I visit the hospital today. Xx

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi, Debby, you may well be right but it sure was bumpy. Son Colin always tries to fly in the middle for more stability. It was our daughter-in-law Iwona that booked the seats for us without making sure where they were located. Xx

Jennie said...

So sorry to hear about your leg Irene - I hope it is all sorted for you in good time. At least you are getting prompt treatment which is good. Chris has always reckoned the rear of a plane is the safest place as he has never heard of a plane reversing into a hill! You were lucky the keys were found. Take care both of you. xx

Ali and John (NB Triskaideka) said...

Hope you are soon sorted Irene! what an eventful day!!

Could I ask a massive favour, would you mind if I used a couple of your Blisworth tunnel photos on some slides for work, I want something different of Northamptonshire, just a bit of a quick trip around Northants for some newly arrived International GPs that I am working with and I am looking for something a bit different, I thought I had some, which I have but your shaft ones are brilliant compared to mine, so I wondered if you would mind, I'll give you full credit.

Thanks Ali NB Triskaideka

Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Ali, By all means use any photo that meets your requirements. I am honoured that you feel they are good enough to use.

All the best to you both and hope we meet one day soon.

Irene

Blog Archive