About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 27 April 2016

Grumpy Old Git!!! and a trip to the Zoo

Well..... I must say, there we were minding our own business and enjoying the short cruise from  bridge 131 to 134 when I spies a fisherman in the distance. So doing the decent thing I slows right down. A cheery good morning to him didn't even warrant a stare let alone a reply. 'Please yourself' I thought. Then, having got at least 10 feet away from him, I turns the revs up slightly.  OMG....I thought World War One had started!!! He rants and raves about how I speeded up the boat exactly where he was fishing and bl**dy boats shouldn't be on the canals causing mayhem and frightening the fish and didn't I know how to slow down etc etc. I looked at Ian flabbergasted! For a second or two I was lost for words then I gave him as good as he gave me, 'The canals were built for boats you know not for obnoxious fishermen like you. If it wasn't for us using the waterways then you wouldn't be able to fish 'cos this would be a ditch!!! That didn't go down well at all and the ranting started again. By now I was far enough away not to hear much more of what he was saying but then I started to worry. We were mooring after the next bridge, within eyesight of this nasty man. Would he retaliate and do something to the boat? We could only hope not. Anyway enough said about this grumpy old git. I know for a fact that the majority of fishermen are a friendly lot usually giving a friendly smile and nearly always remarking on the weather. So keeping fingers crossed we moored up and walked the 1/2 mile to Chester Zoo.

It was blooming cold for an April day. That wind was not nice and I'm sure the animals decided they were better off inside. Anyway we had a super day, spending 6 hours wandering around the 110 acre site and the only bit of anxiety I had was when we were due to walk back to FS to see if that Old Git had done anything to the boat. Would you believe we nearly met him again by the bridge, he was bringing the massive amount of unnecessary fishing gear (my opinion alone) back to his car. And what of FS??? She was just fine, with not a mark on her.

And some of the many animals and birds I photographed today.




Brazilian Tanager

Okapi

Peking Robin

Chimpanzee

Spoonbill


Urangatan 

Weaver bird displaying

Dull female compared to the male



Greater one horned rhinoceros

2 comments:

Andy said...

Great Photo's.

Mr fisherman probably didn't have a bite all day.... no excuse for his unpleasantness.

Most are more than happy to at least acknowledge boaters.

Anonymous said...

Hi Irene and Ian , we are just behind you at the Cheshire cat and plan to do the Chester zoo visit too and Cheshire oaks and the cinema complex this bank holiday week ,so give us a wave if passing on the way back, lovely pictures as always. Paul and Glennis nb Just the Job

Blog Archive