About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 16 April 2016

Another magical moment, the birth of a lamb

Thursday 14th

What a smashing day to go cruising. First really warm day of the season and soon coats came off and Ian even debated whether to put his shorts on. Steady, I thought, now that would guarantee the sun going in! We made Adderley locks and I cunningly said I would do this flight if Ian did the next. Not so daft you see, as there are only 5 locks in this flight but 15 on the Audlem Flight.


Much more agile now that I have lost weight and my back problems has improved.
 At the top of Adderley flight a stall to temp our taste buds. Nearly succumbed to the home made bread but only Ian eats bread these days. An honesty box is set in the front and hopefully money is duly paid. Somehow I think everyone does otherwise the stall would be manned but I'm sure there are some unscrupulous people that take advantage of the goods on offer without paying.


Cruising toward Audlem and me on the helm, (Ian was below) I happen to look across one of the fields and noticed something lying on the ground right next to one of the Ewes. Wow.....How amazing was that. A new born lamb still with after birth attached maybe minutes old and I knocked back the speed to snap a few photos. How I didn't crash into the bank I will never know but if anyone had been following they would have assumed I was drunk, FS was weaving that much even at that slow pace..





 
So still feeling elated at what I had seen, all to soon reached Audlem flight. Shouting below for Ian to do his locking duties, we had hoped for a quick passage down the flight having recently met an oncoming boat. But no, too much leakage through the bottom gates meant most were either half full or completely empty.
Top lock of the Audlem flight
Part way down another food stall, this time all cakes and pastries. I'm ashamed to say I said hang the diet, those home made shortbreads looked delicious. So £2.00 lighter but armed with 4 large shortbreads, I quickly put on the kettle while Ian walked on to set the next lock. Then once the tea made we both devoured those delicious cakes. Did I feel guilty? Not a jot!



Of course anyone knowing the Audlem flight will know how vicious those weirs are. Check out the side wall by the lock gates. I doubt anyone can get in without crashing into the wall when the flow is as strong as that.



Between lock 11 and 12 we stopped. Lunch was had, started to settle down,  switched on the 3 dongle and.... Oh blast, no internet. Then we tried the TV. Again no signal so we decided to up sticks and head for the bottom of the flight. I tried the internet whilst in lock 15 and yes.... we had lift off. So we moored beyond the winding hole on pins (Ian hates being on pins because of those mad Bs that tear past) but not wanting to go any further he begrudgingly had to make do. Off to Hack Green tomorrow where we will stay for a couple of days.

Wildlife today,

Buzzard



Wren

Lapwings

Jay

No comments:

Blog Archive