About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Wednesday 16 October 2013

A cat sat on a Kat


 Strange title I know but this seemed quite ironic considering the number plate of the car.


While Ian was outside photographing the cat and the car ( its a man thing... the car that is not the cat ) he called me out to see the reflection of the buildings and the red sky. So this is my photo. Much more important then photographing a car!!!!



What a day! So glad we made the decision to shop early this morning. The rain started as we came back and thankfully we were within yards of the boat so made a quick dash to get into the dry. I felt sorry for one of the lads on C&RT butty as they came past. He was standing on the front getting soaked and had a large fishing net in hand scoping the rubbish out of the water. Most commendable. Didn't get a photo cause I didn't fancy getting wet. On the other hand.... another C&RT mob turned up later and started unscrewing and then replacing the 14 day signs! One thing very noticeable here is the lack of moored boats especially as this is one of the 'honeypot' sites. I suppose it's unsurprising considering the time of year and I cant remember if all the moorings up to Sheepcote bridge from Old Turn Junction was only 24 hours. They certainly are now. A deterrent in itself!  So when the 14 day sign was being taken down I had a horrible feeling that these moorings would also become 48 hour. I was very relieved to see them return the 14 day sign to the same spot. Then they did the same for the arrow but this time they gave it a wipe first before screwing it back! It took them the best part of 30 minutes to move the two signs. What on earth was the use in that. Is this all they have to do these days? What Ian wanted to know is what is the financial justification in unscrewing and then screwing them back again. First I witness an employee of C&RT getting soaked doing a good job of keeping our waterways clean, then I see two more doing what appears to be a meaningless job in wiping and then replacing the signs. Maybe there just isn't enough jobs for the crew of C&RT to do around here but have to make sure they are seen to be doing something!





Made the time today to continue with the production of our Slow Gin. With the abundance of fruit, which we kept on picking, we had so many Sloes that we had to keep buying more Gin. We now have in total 15 bottles of Sloe Gin on the go! I reckon it could be a good Christmas this year.


12 bottles made and another 3 to go.
The sun has just come out so I'm going fishing. Ian's sorting the batteries out. They were low in distilled water. I have made a sponge and I'm going to try and replicate the cake  Jo ( Where I Belong) made Ian for his birthday so maybe a photo to show Jo tomorrow if it looks nearly as good as hers.

And finally:-








1 comment:

Adam said...

I wonder if they've used non-unscrewable screws on the signs? I know there's been a problem in some places of people taking the signs down, and they've taken to using ones which can't be easily undone. It's usually been people removing 24 and 48 hour signs, in the belief that means they can stay longer, but they might be replacing them all, I suppose.

Blog Archive