About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Saturday 11 February 2012

Bl+++dy Freezing

Brrrrr. The coldest night of the year so far! Our temperature gauge read - 8 at 10pm last night and this morning at 7am it was -10. What it got down to in the middle of the night is any ones guess but for the first time this year all our windows were frozen. Usually the bedroom and loo windows get a bit of ice on the frame but this time even the windows by the fire had a thick layer. I dont suppose it helped having wet washing hung on my drying rack. Produced more condensation then normal.



Above Jade's bed. With the curtain shut it kept the chill from freezing Jade.




Lounge window by the fire. Our curtains must act as a brilliant insulator against the cold.


Houdini.
The trouble starts once it begins to thaw. Water all over the floor!!



Bathroom
Ian left this morning to catch the bus back to Sandiacre. It's handy keeping the car in the garage but fetching it is always a bit of a headache. So, to get to Sandiacre, first he had to walk to Newton Harcourt and get the bus into Leicester which, incidentally, doesn't drop off at Leicester bus station. Oh no. The nearest he could get was a drop of at Charles street and then a 10 min walk to St Margaret's way where the National buses leave from. So, onto the National express to Nottingham, Then a 5 min walk to Broadmarsh shopping centre to catch the no 4 bus to Sandiacre. He left here at 8.15am and I got a phone call at 11.30 to say he had arrived at our bungalow. Total journey time of 3 hours. By car from here its about 40 minutes Still at least now we can do a major food shop rather then walk to the corner shop 15 minutes away!

On my walk with Jade this morning I happened to notice that icicles had formed on the lock gate. Another photo opportunity.



I love the look of a web when the frost gets on it.

 I really enjoyed the walk this morning. I didnt have to worry about slipping because Ian fished out my snow boots from under the floor. On the heel there is a steel grip making it ideal for walking in ice. If I want to walk on concrete I can just fold it away. If only I had had them days ago. Jade would have had much longer walks.



With it closed

With the grips open.





My snow boots 







                                                                                                        



No comments:

Blog Archive