About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Crickey that was some gust!

Oh I ached this morning. Couldn't put any weight on my left arm and my right knee was very tender. A bruise has started to appear on the knee but I am so grateful nothing was broken. Did worry about my right wrist though, as I broke this on the Thames back in 2010 but no harm done to that. After tea and toast in bed and then struggling to get dressed, it was an unanimous decision to move on to a mooring out in the country. First we did a quick Tesco shop, dodging the rain showers, then made our way to the staircase locks. As we arrived a boat was on it's way out, good for us on the first of the staircase locks but not so good on the second and third. Top one was with us but the middle and bottom had to be emptied before the top lock could be emptied. Took the best part of an hour before FS was at the bottom. Only one paddle on each of the first two bottom gates, meant it took forever to empty out. And then half way down the heavens opened and we got soaked!

leaving the middle chamber
A stop at the facilities for water and loo emptying and a quick bite to eat whilst waiting for the tank to fill before setting off again for the rural mooring. The wind picked up big time and after mooring Ian raised the solar panels to catch the suns rays (what little we had of it) and angled the front solar panel running my bait fridge with a piece of wood. Suddenly an almighty crash was heard while we were inside the boat. A sudden gust had lifted the panel and swept it over the side. It was only the lead and small chain that kept it from going in. Damaged the handrail but luckily not the cabin side or the solar panel.

Filler and paint needed ASAP

Tried my hand at fishing but that wind was just too strong. Before I packed in I managed to net this nice Perch.

May go to the zoo tomorrow. Had a comment from Alan Baker (thank you Alan) saying the zoo was within half a mile of the canal and very easy to reach. 

So quiet with nothing to hear except the wind whistling through the trees.

No comments:

Blog Archive