About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Thursday 26 April 2012

Buckby Flight to Stoke Bruerne

Lovely lazy start this morning. The locks didn't open until 10am so after consuming a hearty breakfast of bacon and eggs, we made our way toward the lock and onto the water point. This caused a bit of a ruckus by some of the boats already moored. I'm sure they thought we were going to creep in to steel their place. After explaining what we were up to it, was all sweetness and light and very helpful in getting us moored up. Once watered, we waited our turn and  paired up with an Alevchurch boat. The whole flight was against us even though we knew boats were making there way up. It was the first pair down that had all the luck. The weather was kind during our descent but clouds gathered in the distance making us aware of things to come. Finally left the bottom lock some 2 hours later.

Stormy skies ahead


I laughed when I saw this boat coming out of the bottom lock. Looked as if it had been in for a shampoo.



Foam already starting show.
 
On route to Gayton when I warned Ian what was to come!

I had to smile at what this boat was using as fenders. Surly there is a society for cruelty to teddy bears?



At bridge 38 BW was replacing the edging of the towpath with wooden piling and back filling with sandbags. I 'm presuming the wooden post will be knocked down level with the towpath.






We reached Blisworth after only getting wet a few times. The clouds seemed to be all around  threatening us with torrential downpours but the gods were looking on us with favour because most of it past by. Well, that was until just before the tunnel entrance. Then it came down in buckets. Ever so glad to get inside in the dry. That was until the waterfalls coming from the roof vents sent  both of us briefly ducking for cover.  I didn't see my ghost although I sat up front with the camera just in case. I did take some photos though just in case I captured some strange beings.


Hammering it down!


Old part


and new section.
 As we have stopped in Stoke Bruerne Ian going to treat me to a meal tonight in the Navigation. We have all day now to decide part part of Milton Keynes to moor, Cambell Park seems to be most likely place.

No comments:

Blog Archive