About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday 9 March 2012

My scary moment in the tunnel.

Today was officially the last day we could stay at Blisworth. I can't believe we have already been here for 2 weeks. We had toyed with the idea of just staying put and hoping that no warden would come around, but it's not something either of us are comfortable with. We knew Cosgrove was chockablock so we pinned our hopes on spaces having become available at Stoke Bruerne. Last night, after returning from Colin's, we took a walk along the towpath toward the tunnel. The first thing we noticed, hardly any boats. Great news for us. As we walked toward the 14-day mooring, there was one boat on the 48-hour mooring which had an overstay notice. 4 boats on the 14-day moorings also had overstay notices on them, but luckily for us, we found a space just before the narrow section perfect for our length of boat. So very early this morning ( 7 am ) I set off with the boat while Ian took the car. He had to empty the loo at the facilities at Bruerne and then he said he would meet us at the exit of the tunnel. Now, in all the years boating this is the first time I have taken a boat on my own through a tunnel. Normally I have no worries about the dark but for some reason today I had creepy thoughts of things lurking in hidden nooks and crannies waiting to jump out at me. I have no idea if there are any ghost stories about Blisworth tunnel but at one point I'm pretty convinced that a strange light appeared from the wall when I was about halfway through. It lingered for a moment before slowly fading back into the wall. All very disconcerting and, I'm sure, totally irrational!!!!. Could be quite a while before I'm comfortable about going through that tunnel again. I was very relieved to get to the end and back into daylight. Sure enough, Ian was waiting for me and after boarding him and the dog, we went past our prospective mooring and turned at the water point by the locks,( it's a good job we are only 57ft. Ian said we only had inches to spare.) and after refilling the water tank eventually moored up by 8.30 am.

Today's efforts at 'the house' is as follows. Day 10:- I continued work in the garden, Ian started on the skirting in the hallway, Iwona and Vwacha painted door frames and looked after the kids. Good job Vwacha was around because Oscar came home early from Nursery with a raging temperature ( I hope he hasn't caught my bug ) and all he wanted to do was sleep. Vwacha cuddled him until he eventually fell asleep, bless him. Also Gary the builder turned up to correct some of the mishaps he caused earlier, ie replaster the on-suite ceiling and finishing off around the stairs. He sent Paul to complete this task and this is the outcome.

I cannot believe the cowboys Gary has working for him!!!
 Ian discovered the floor in the hall to be completely uneven. To fit the skirting took a lot of working out.

I cleared the bushes by the shed and found a very dead and decomposing rat!!! Very smelly.

No more trees or shrubs. I have aches and pains all over from removing them.

This is our wood for next years cruising. Thanks, Colin!


Adam said...

Looks as though you've seen the Blisworth tunnel ghost!


Adam said...

Hi Irene

I'm writing a piece about the side shaft in Blisworth Tunnel. Would it be OK to quote a line from your blog, about what you saw?

Many thanks


Ian and Irene Jameison said...

Hi Adam,

By all means use whatever you wish from this post for your article. I would be very interested in reading the finished work when it is complete.

All the best


Adam said...

Thanks. I'll let you know!

Blog Archive