About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Friday, 2 March 2012

Day 5 and it's amazing what one finds on the towpath.

Before we set off for today's hard graph, Ian took Jade for her early morning  walk. On the way, lying in the middle of the towpath, was a mobile phone. No sign of anyone, so all Ian could do was to scroll through the phone numbers until he came to a name that would surely bring him to the owner. 'Dad'. So he rang that number and sure enough the owners Dad answered and, yes his son lived in Blisworth but he had no idea of his sons address!!????? but he did know that his son frequented the Royal Oak in the village, so could we leave it behind the pubs bar. He then said he would phone his daughter-in-law to let his son know where it was. We tried to leave it at the pub this morning but, off course, very few pubs are open before midday. All we could do was to drop it off tonight on the way back to the boat. Hopefully the rightful owner will eventually claim his phone.

Now for day 5 progress report. Colin had to go into work this morning so Ian decided to wire and fit the chandelier for the landing. This was not an easy task as the light was to hang  from the ceiling and down the centre of the stairwell. His ingenious idea was to incorporate two ladders, one to lean against the stair wall, and the other to go across from the landing banister rail and mate up with the first ladder.

Colin returned just as Ian had finished and promptly told his Dad the light wasn't in the centre!!! I wont tell you what Ian said!  Anyway, Colin got changed out of his suit and tie and into his scruffs. Then he climbed the ladder to finish the emulsioning above the stairs.

Iwona was still painting walls and ceilings and I started on the final coat of the stairs. Then Colin promptly grabbed hold of the banister rail after I had specifically told him the paint was wet!!!! I had to rub it down again and re paint it! After that I gave up on the job and told him I would finish the stairs after he had left for work on Monday morning when there would be no danger of him sabotaging the paintwork again. Last but not least the garden wall is nearly finished.

The back of the house.

No comments:

Blog Archive