About Us

My photo
In 1977 we hired our first narrowboat from Anglo Welsh at Market Harborough.From that moment our destiny was set. In 2006 we finally purchased our own brand new 57' narrowboat which we named 'Free Spirit'. Our aim is to travel the length and breadth of all the navigable rivers and canals of the UK. This will be our story as it unfolds.

Sunday 1 October 2023

More waterfalls but not where one expecs them.

 Someone was away early! Happen to look out of the bedroom window to see two familiar faces staring at FS. It was Adam and Adrian nb Briar Rose

I shot out the back just in time to see them wave and say they would come and find us after mooring up. We were late getting away today, only because the plan was to moor between the second and third lock on the Stoke Bruerne flight, it wasn't far, a shortish journey of about 7 miles. We did have the tunnel to look forward too, although I am most definitely not a fan of Blisworth tunnel any more since my scary incident back in 2012 when taking the boat through on my own. I have mentioned this many times but for any new readers Click Here

An unremarkable journey today, we have travelled this route many times. One boat was met at a bridge (always the way) and a several more as we headed toward Gayton.

 

My hope in having a stress free cruise through the tunnel was not to be.



All clear as I entered but then a headlight appeared. Blast, blast and blast again! With a good mile and three quarters to travel and with that boat only having just entered, I took FS through at a decent pace. That light didn't appear to be getting any closer though...was it waiting for us before entering? Got to the middle section and still a fair distance away. Finally, just before the new section ended I heard the sound of their engine. Time to slow down. 

Lots of flashes as we drew near. I believe a camera was being used a lot and I don't blame that person either. It's something I do too when Ian has the helm. So the one photo I had asked Ian to take he failed miserably in that task. He couldn't find the correct setting, and.....because I wanted that one and only photo, told him to give me the camera so I could take it instead. Trying to steer and focus in the dark was impossible, good job Ian grabbed the tiller to stop FS hitting the wall!

My camera stayed well and truly inside the back cabin. The tunnel was exceptionally wet and not just the occasional drip from the roof. No, those chimney air vents acted like drain pipes after heavy rain and turning on the tap fully would have achieved the same result. I avoided the first deluge by steering around it but at the second one even more water pouring in, I only just stopped from crashing into the wall. After that nerve racking moment and knowing there were at least another 3, resigned myself to going through the cascading waterfalls.

Finally after nearly 40 minutes out popped FS back into the daylight.


Not far to go now, just down two of the Stoke Bruerne locks to moor in the long pound. The last five will be done tomorrow.

Popular place.


Only a few gongoozlers watching.

The satellite worked wonderfully although having got ourselves all secure at one spot, realised a blooming great bush was in the way of the signal. So we moved roughly 100 yds to a clear area with nothing in the way. Tonight it's all about Strictly again and Ian's Rugby. I have the TV, Ian the headset and computor, this has worked out very well for me, Ian does know which side his bread is buttered on after all!


It was that bush on the left that was in the way


second mooring


Mid-afternoon and we had the visit promised by Adam and Adrian. 2016 was the last time we met, uncanny then that the conversation flowed as if we had seen each other every day. Tea, and one biscuit offered which was excepted. that makes me sound like a real skin flint...Marilyn would be ever so upset by my hospitality. But in fairness to myself, more were offered and declined. It was an amazing afternoon, we laughed a lot, had meaningful discussions and a lot of reminiscing of boaters we once knew but now land based. Thank you guys for such an entertaining time. Let's not wait another 7 years before we meet again.

Adam in front, Adrian in the middle and Ian bringing up the rear.


No comments:

Blog Archive